Skip to main content

US Department of Transportation (USDOT) Numbers

FAQs and More Information

Intrastate for-hire motor carriers and intrastate private carriers must obtain and display a USDOT number. For-hire and private motor carriers operating commercial motor vehicles across state lines must be registered with the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA) and must have a USDOT number.

Complete registration via this Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Form.

There is no cost to obtain a USDOT number. A credit card is required for identification purposes only when obtaining a USDOT number online.

Once a USDOT number is obtained, information pertaining to the operations conducted under the USDOT number must be updated at least once a year if interstate operations are involved or at least once every two years if only intrastate operations are involved. To learn more about the updating requirements, check this brochure.

You can update your information by completing an online form.

To learn more about USDOT numbers for interstate purposes, visit the U.S. Department of Transportation site.

Motor carriers who obtain a USDOT number will often receive aggressive solicitations from various types of companies. FMCSA has recently made available a document concerning aggressive solicitations. You can also view a list criminals wanted for transportation-industry related crimes.

Last Modified on Jun 13, 2023
Back to Top