Link to the Oklahoma Constitution
Article 1 - Federal Relations
- § 1. Supreme law of land.
Article 2 - Bill of Rights
Since the following constitutional provisions were drafted, the federal government - acting through Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court - has limited the states' powers in various fields addressed in this article. Consideration of federal law may be important to issues dealt with in this article.
- §1. Political power - Purpose of government - Alteration or reformation.
- §2. Inherent rights.
- §3. Right of Assembly and Petition.
- §5. Public money or property - Use for sectarian purposes.
- §6. Courts of Justice open - Remedies for wrongs - Sale, denial or delay.
- §7. Due process of law.
- §9. Excessive bail or fines - Cruel or unusual punishment.
- §11. Officers - Personal attention to duties - Intoxication.
- §12. Officers of United States or other states - Ineligibility to office.
- §15. Bills of attainder - Ex post facto laws - Obligation of contracts - Forfeitures.
- §23. Private property - Taking or damaging for private use.
- §24. Private property - Public use - Character of use a judicial question.
- §28. Corporate records, books and files.
- §32. Perpetuities - Monopolies - Primogeniture - Entailments.
Article 4 - Distribution of Powers
- § 1. Departments of government - Separation and distinction.
Article 5 - Legislative Department
- §54. Repeal of statute - Effect.
- §55. Appropriations - Necessity and requisites.
- §56. General appropriation bills - Salaries - Separate appropriation bills.
- §57. Subjects and titles - Revival or amendment by reference - Extent of invalidity.
- §58. Time of taking effect of statutes - Emergency measures.
- §59. Uniform operation of general laws - Special laws when general law applicable.
- §60. System of checks and balances.
- §63. Continuity of governmental operations in periods of emergency.
Article 6 - Executive Department
- § 1. Executive officers enumerated - Offices and records - Duties.
Article 7 - Judicial Department
- § 1. Courts in which judicial power vested.
Article 8 - Impeachment and Removal from Office
- § 1. Officers subject to impeachment - Grounds - Suspension from office upon felony conviction - Reinstatement - Temporary judges.
- § 2. Removal of officers not subject to impeachment.
- § 3. Presiding officer in case of impeachment - Presentation of impeachment.
- § 4. Oath or affirmation - Number concurring.
- § 5. Judgment of impeachment.
- § 6. Necessary laws to be passed.
+Article 9 - Corporations
Since some of the following constitutional provisions were drafted, the federal government has preempted many of the states' regulatory powers in various fields. Consideration of federal law may be important to any question involving an issue raised by this article.
- § 2. Rights as to construction of lines.
- § 3. Receipt of cars, tonnage and passengers from other lines.
- *§ 4. Oil pipe line companies - Regulation - Duties.
- § 5. Telegraph and telephone companies - Transmission of messages - Physical connections to lines.
- *§ 6. Railroads as public highways - Offices - Meetings - Reports - Enforcement.
- § 7. Moveable property as personal property - Liability of property to execution.
- *§ 8. Consolidation of public service corporations - Common officer.
- *§ 9. Sales and leases - Additional restrictions on consolidation.
- § 10. Street Railroads - Consent to construction and operation.
- § 11. Acceptance of provisions of Constitution.
- § 12. Transportation of railroad's own commodities.
- § 13. Free transportation of passengers.
- *§ 15. Creation - Terms of office - Vacancies.
- *§ 16. Qualifications of commissioners.
- *§ 17. Oath of office - Additional oath.
- *§ 18. Powers and duties - Notice before taking action - Process for witnesses - Authority of Legislature - Municipal powers.
- *§ 18a. Organization - Quorum - Necessary vote.
- *§ 18b. Company defined.
- *§ 19. Powers of court of record - Additional powers - Failure or refusal to obey orders.
- *§ 20. Appeals to Supreme Court - Other courts to have no jurisdiction - Mandamus and prohibition.
- *§ 21. Supersedeas - Security - Accounts - Refunds - Precedence of appeals.
- *§ 22. Statement of reasons for action- Cause heard on record - Certification of facts and evidence - New or additional evidence.
- *§ 24. Rights of action not affected - Questioning action of Commission.
- *§ 25. Reports and recommendations.
- *§ 26. Railway depots and depot buildings.
- *§ 27. Railroad crossings at grade.
- *§ 28. Inspection of books and papers - Examination of officers and agents.
- *§ 29. Record of financial transactions.
- *§ 30. Greater charge for less distance.
- *§ 31. Foreign corporations - Eminent domain - Restrictions on exercise.
- *§ 32. Through rates - Investigation - Notice - Application to Interstate Commerce Commission.
- *§ 33. Switches to mines, mills, elevators and industries.
- § 34. Definitions - Avoidance of conflicts with U.S. Constitution.
- § 35. Power of Legislature.
- § 36. Common law doctrine abrogated - Liability for acts of receivers - Power of Legislature.
Article 10 - Revenue and Taxation
- § 1. Fiscal year.
- § 15. Pledge or loan of credit.
- § 19. Specification of purpose of tax - Devotion to another purpose.
- § 23. Balanced budget - Procedures.
- § 27. Indebtedness for purchase, construction or repair of public utilities.
- § 27A. Municipal water and water facilities - Financing.
- *§ 27B. Political subdivisions - Public utilities financing - Indebtedness.
- § 29. Bonds and evidence of indebtedness - Certificates as to compliance with law.
- § 30. System of accounting.
Article 15 - Oath of Office
- § 1. Officers required to take oath or affirmation - Form.
- § 2. Administration and filing of oath - Refusal to take - False swearing.
Article 18 - Municipal Corporations
- § 5(a). Grant, extension or renewal - Approval by voters - Term.
- § 5(b). Petition - Calling election - Result of election.
- § 7. Control and regulation not divested - Surrender of powers - Exclusive franchises.
Article 20 - Manufacture and Commerce
- § 2. Kerosene oil - Flash test - Specific gravity test.
Article 23 - Miscellaneous
- § 1. Hours of labor on public work.
- § 1A. Participation in labor organization as condition of employment prohibited.
- § 10. Change of salary during term.
Article 29 - Ethics Commission
- § 3. Ethics Rules.
- § 4. Investigation - Decision - Subpoena Power.
- § 5. Ethics Interpretations.
- § 6. Criminal Penalties.
Article 30 - Official Actions of State
- § 1. English language.
- *§ 15. Compensation of certain state officers.