Skip to main content

Railroad Questions and Complaints

Mailing Address: 
Oklahoma Corporation Commission
Transportation Division
P.O. Box 52000
Oklahoma City, OK ZIP 73152-2000

Blocked Railroad Crossings - Not Regulated by the OCC

On November 30, 2020, the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma ruled that Title 66 O.S. §190, the Oklahoma blocked crossing statute, is preempted by the Interstate Commerce Commission Termination Act, 49 U.S.C. §§ 10101 et seq., and is therefore facially unconstitutional and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld that decision on January 11, 2022.

The Court has enjoined (prevented) the Oklahoma Corporation Commission from enforcing Title 66 O.S. 190.  As a result, the Commission does not have the authority to regulate blocked railroad crossings and is unable to process any complaints filed under that statute.

At this time, blocked crossings should be reported to the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) using their online Blocked Crossing Incident Report Form.

If you encounter a public crossing that is blocked by a non-moving train for a period of more than 20 minutes, or if there is an emergency, call the toll-free emergency number displayed on the blue Emergency Notification System (ENS) sign posted at the crossing.

The ENS sign also displays the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) railroad crossing number. If you can read that number, provide it to the railroad when you call.        

Railroad complaints, inquiries or comments may be submitted 24-hours a day through the Online Railroad Complaint Form below or by telephone during regular Corporation Commission business hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday) by calling (405) 521-3407.

*Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

Internet Explorer is not compatible with this form.

Last Modified on Apr 22, 2024
Back to Top