Skip to main content

NOTICE: Electronic Case Filing is here! You can file, research, and track cases anytime, anywhere there's an internet connection. Go to the ECF page to learn more and get started today.


The Railroad Department:

  • Monitors the operations of twenty-four Oklahoma railroads for compliance with state railroad crossing safety regulations for more than 3,612 public, at-grade crossings in the state. This includes ensuring that the railroads maintain their crossings and clear the sight triangle of rank weeds, noxious plants, thickets, trees, debris, trash or other obstructions.
  • Conducts routine reviews of public at-grade crossings for safety compliance and investigates public complaints.
  • Investigates and makes recommendations concerning railroad crossing openings, closings, and crossing signal upgrades.
  • Mediates between the public and the railroad industry in areas encompassing the state regulation of rail safety and enforcement of the Railroad Rules through the Corporation Commission’s Administrative process.
  • Ensures that the railroads construct, maintain and replace as needed, fences that separate the railroad right-of-way from the private property of landowners raising livestock, either for commercial or private purposes.

If you encounter a crossing that is blocked by a non-moving train for a period of more than 20 minutes, or if there is an emergency, call the toll-free emergency number posted at the crossing. Look for the Department of Transportation (DOT) number on the sign and be sure to include that when you call. Here are some on-line examples of railroad signs.

Blocked Railroad Crossing Enforcement

On July 1, 2019, a new statute (66 O.S. §190) went into effect regulating trains that block Oklahoma road crossings for more than ten (10) minutes. 

UPDATE 12/04/2020: The United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma has enjoined the Oklahoma Corporation Commission from enforcing Title 66 O.S. 190, the railroad blocked crossing statute. As a result, the Commission is unable to process any complaints filed under that statute

Lawful Fence

If you own property adjacent to a railroad track and have livestock on the property, please see OAC Rule 165:32-1-10 for criteria to obtain a lawful fence. You must first notify the appropriate railroad of the need for a lawful fence before applying with the Commission for assistance. The Application for Lawful Fence is available on this site.


Railroad crossing rules can be found in Chapter 32 of the Commission’s Rules.

Final Report of the Oklahoma Railroad Grade Crossing Safety Task Force

More information is available in the final report of the Oklahoma Railroad Grade Crossing Safety Task Force (1998).  The task force was charged with reviewing and developing recommendations for improving highway rail crossing safety.

Last Modified on Sep 23, 2021