405 Area Code Exhaust
¿Prefiere leer esta página en otra idioma? Haga click en el botón 'Translate' en la parte superior de esta página.
Bạn muốn đọc trang này bằng ngôn ngữ khác? Chọn nút 'Dịch' ở đầu trang.
Frequently Asked Questions
Federal law requires the change to ensure the area currently served by the 405 area code does not run out of numbers.
Population growth, more people owning more decives, as well as computer-driven equipment such as just-in-time inventory systems all are increasing demand for phone numbers.
No. If you have a 405 number, you will keep it.
However, if you get a new number after May 24, 2021, you could be assigned the new 572 area code.
While you must dial 405 before making a local call, there will not be added long-distance charges for making calls on a landline within the area code served by 405.
Any equipment, including security systems, must be updated to include the 405 area code for dialing phone numbers.
Virtual Town Hall
The Oklahoma Corporation Commission's Public Utility Division hosted a Virtual Town Hall Meeting on November 6, 2019, to inform the public about the area code relief process in the 405 area code.
In Cause No. PUD 201800086, Neustar, Inc., the North American Numbering Plan Administrator ("NANPA"), in its role as the neutral third party NPA Relief Planner for Oklahoma under the North American Numbering Plan and on behalf of the Oklahoma Telecommunications Industry, petitioned the Oklahoma Corporation Commission for approval of the Industry's consensus decision to recommend to the Commission an all-services distributed overlay as the preferred form of relief for the 405 Numbering Plan Area ("NPA").
On January 8, 2020, the OCC ordered that an all-services distributed overlay shall be utilized to provide relief for the impending exhaust of the 405 NPA. The all-services distributed overlay area code is 572.
Overview of Dialing Changes
- October 24, 2020 – Permissive 10-digit dialing began
- April 24, 2021 – Mandatory 10-digit dialing began
- May 24, 2021 – 572 area code added for new phone numbers
Will this affect the cost of local calls?
No, this change will not change how local calls are billed (i.e., local calls will remain local calls, regardless of whether the number dialed is a 405 or 572 area code).
- Technical Advisory Group Meeting Discussion Outline
- Technical Advisory Group Meeting Presentation
- Application - PUD 201800086
- Order No. 702283 - Issued September 17, 2019 - Granting Motion to Establish Procedural Schedule
- Order No. 707261 - Issued January 8, 2020 - Ordering that an all-services distributed overlay be utilized to provide relief for the impending exhaust of the 405 NPA.