Power Outage Preparedness
There are steps you can take to prepare prepare for a power outage.
Have an emergency kit: Ready.gov has a complete checklist.
- Flashlight with extra batteries (fully charge if integrated battery)
- Emergency Radio that is battery-operated or wind up charging
- First-aid kit and extra medicine.
- Medicines and basic health supplies.
Fully charge your cell phones and emergency equipment.
Protect your family from carbon monoxide (CO).
- NEVER use grills, camp stoves, or generators inside of your home or garage.
- Locate generators at least 20 feet from the house.
- Leave your home immediately if the CO detector sounds, and call 911.
Generators should only be connected to home circuit box by a licensed electrician.
Stock food that needs no cooking or refrigeration and water stored in clean containers.