All Drill Explanations
The Oklahoma School Security Institute has been designated by the Oklahoma State Legislature to serve as the state repository for all school security drills conducted by Oklahoma Public Schools
Pursuant to Title 70, Section 5-148 and Section 5-149 of the Oklahoma State Statutes, all public Schools in the State of Oklahoma shall conduct the following school security drills each school year:
- Security Drills - No less than four (4) security drills are required per school and one of these drills must be performed within the first fifteen (15) days of each school semester. Security Drills are defined as, "securing school buildings to prevent or mitigate injuries or deaths that may result from a threat around or in the school." OSSI recommends that all schools incorporate their responding law enforcement agency in the performance of these drills.
- Tornado Drills - No less than two (2) tornado drills are required per school year and these drills must be performed in the month of September and in the month of March.
- Other Drills - No less than two (2) other drills are required per school year and the drills chosen should be consistent with the risks assessed for the appropriate facility. Other Drills are required to be reported to the OSSI; however, it is the school's discretion on which type of drill they would like to report. Other Drills include (but are not limited to): Earthquake Drills, Reverse Evacuation Drills, Hazardous Material in the School Drills, and School Bus Evacuation Drills.
- Fire Drills - No less than two (2) fire drills are required per school year and these drills must be performed within the first fifteen (15) days of each school semester. Fire Drills are not required to be reported to OSSI; however, schools are highly encouraged to submit these drill reports to our office for state documentation and school accountability purposes. OSSI recommends that all schools incorporate their responding fire department in the performance of these drills.
Pursuant to Oklahoma State Board of Education Regulation (OAC 210:30-5-1), all public Schools in the State of Oklahoma shall conduct the following school security drill each school year:
- School Bus Evacuation Drill - Conducted twice each school year. It is recommended that these drills be conducted once in the fall semester and once in the spring semester within the first two weeks when possible. A convenient time is when the bus arrives at school with the students still aboard. Guidelines for conducting a school bus evacuation drill are in the Oklahoma School Bus Driver Manual.
Drill Reporting is required for ALL public schools in the State of Oklahoma; however, all Oklahoma Schools (public, private, non-profit, charter, and technology centers) are encouraged to report drills to our office.