Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to be certified if I only teach adults? CareerTech does not require certification if you only teach adults.  However, your technology center may require certification.  If you choose to seek certification, then it is recommended that you complete the provisional process without any lapse (letting your provisional expire).  There is no guarantee that another provisional certificate can be issued once a lapse has occurred.

The deadline to submit my transcripts for provisional renewal is June 30.  I’m taking a summer class and will not have my transcript until August.  What do I need to do?  It is possible that you will start the school year in August without certification.  This could mean that you wouldn’t get paid at the certified teacher rate.  Please keep in mind that obtaining a transcript for a completed class may not be available immediately.  For this reason, putting off enrollment in courses required for renewal is not recommended. 

I have my provisional certification and I’m working on completing my bachelor’s degree.  Do I need to complete the career technical education (CTED/CTWD) courses (basic 15) first?  Your provisional certification can be renewed by completing classes toward your degree.  The classes do not have to be in career technical education.  Although the basic 15 courses are recommended, your degree choice will determine if the classes are required.

        "Basic 15": History/Philosophy of CTED/CTWD; Career and Technology Student Organizations; Safety, Organization & Management of Learning Facilities; Instructional Procedures/Methods of Teaching; Curriculum/Planning in CTED/CTWD.                        

Do I need provisional certification if I have applied to the Alternative Placement Program?  If you are currently teaching and OSDE has not yet issued the “Initial Alternative Certificate,” then provisional certification would be needed.

Do I need to major in Career Technical Education? If your certification area is accepted through the Alternative Placement Program, then your major doesn’t have to be in career technical education.  Even if your desired certification isn’t offered through the Alternative Placement Program, you may be able to obtain an alternative standard certificate in a related area and add the desired certification later. 

I have been told that obtaining my CTWD bachelor's degree at UCO is no longer an option for certification.  Is that true?  An individual graduating with a bachelor's degree in CTWD from UCO will need to apply to the Alternative Placement Program to obtain an alternative standard teaching certificate.  Courses in the CTWD program (4853 - Methods of Teaching & 4253 Safety, Org. & Mgmt. of CTWD) will satisfy the Alternative Placement Program requirement for two college credit courses in pedagogical principles and classroom management.

How do I get a standard certification in Health Occupations?  See details on paths to a standard teaching certificate in Health Occupations (7515).

What certification is required to teach Anatomy and Physiology? A 6050 Biological Sciences certification is required to teach A&P.

When should I apply to the university to enroll for courses?  The application process will take more than a month.  You should apply early enough to allow for delays.

I have just earned my bachelor’s degree in CTED at OSU, but my provisional II certification doesn’t expire for two more years.  Can I just wait to apply for standard certification through OSU? 

You should not wait to apply for your standard certificate.  OSU course requirements for certification could change, resulting in additional requirements to obtain your standard certificate.

Last Modified on Dec 20, 2022
Back to Top