OHCA Policies and Rules
317:30-5-22.1. Enhanced services for medically high risk pregnancies
(a) Enhanced services. Enhanced services are available for pregnant women eligible for SoonerCare and are in addition to services for uncomplicated maternity cases. Women deemed high risk based on criteria established by the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) must receive prior authorization for medically necessary enhanced benefits which include:
(1) Prenatal at risk antepartum management;
(2) A combined maximum of five (5) fetal non stress test(s) and biophysical profiles (additional units can be prior authorized for multiple fetuses)with one (1) test per week beginning at thirty-two (32) weeks gestation and continuing to thirty-eight (38) weeks; and
(3) A maximum of three (3) follow-up ultrasounds not covered under Oklahoma Adminisrative Code (OAC) 317:30-5-22(b)(2).
(b) Prior authorization. To receive enhanced services, the following documentation must be received by the OHCA Medical Authorization Unit for review and approval:
(1) A comprehensive prenatal assessment from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist (ACOG) or other comparable comprehensive prenatal assessment; and
(2) Appropriate documentation supporting medical necessity from a board eligible/board certified Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) specialist, a board eligible/board certified Obstetrician-Gynecologist (OB-GYN), or a board eligible/board certified Family Practice Physician who has completed an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) approved residency. The medical residency program must include appropriate obstetric training, and the physician must be credentialed by the hospital at which they provide obstetrical services in order to perform such services. The documentation must include information identifying and detailing the qualifying high risk condition. Non-MFM obstetrical providers requesting enhanced services are limited to a specific set of diagnoses as outlined on the OHCA website (www.okhca.org).
(c) Reimbursement. When prior authorized, enhanced benefits will be reimbursed as follows:
(1) Antepartum management for high risk is reimbursed to the primary obstetrical provider. If the primary provider of obstetrical care is not the MFM and wishes to request authorization of the antepartum management fee, the treatment plan must be signed by the primary provider of OB care. Additionally, reimbursement for enhanced at risk antepartum management is not made during an in-patient hospital stay.
(2) Non stress tests, biophysical profiles and ultrasounds [in addition to those covered under OAC 317:30-5-22 (b)(2) (A) through (C)] are reimbursed when prior authorized.
(3) Reimbursement for enhanced at risk antepartum management is not available to physicians who already qualify for enhanced reimbursement as state employed physicians.
Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.