OHCA Policies and Rules
317:30-3-31. Prior authorization for health care-related goods and services
(a) Under the SoonerCare program, there are health care-related goods and services that require prior authorization (PA) by the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA). PA is a process to determine if a prescribed good or service is medically necessary; it is not, however, a guarantee of member eligibility or of SoonerCare payment. All goods or services requiring PA will be authorized on the basis of information submitted to OHCA, including:
(1) The relevant code, as is appropriate for the good or service requested (for example, Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes for services; Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes, for durable medical equipment; or National Drug Codes (NDC), for drugs); and/or
(2) Any other information required by OHCA, in the format as prescribed. The OHCA authorization file will reflect the codes that have been authorized.
(b) The OHCA staff will issue a determination for each requested good or service requiring a PA. The provider will be advised of that determination, either through the provider portal, or for requests made for out-of-state services, meals, mileage, transportation and lodging, by letter or other written communication. The member will be advised by letter. Policy regarding member appeal of a denied PA is available at Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 317:2-1-2.
(c) The following is an inexhaustive list of the goods and services that may require a PA, for at least some SoonerCare member populations, under some circumstances. This list is subject to change, with OHCA expressly reserving the right to add a PA requirement to a covered good or service or to remove a PA requirement from a covered good or service.
(1) Physical therapy for children;
(2) Speech therapy for children;
(3) Occupational therapy for children;
(4) High Tech Imaging (for ex. CT, MRA, MRI, PET);
(5) Some dental procedures, including, but not limited to orthodontics (orthodontics are covered for children only);
(6) Inpatient psychiatric services;
(7) Some prescription drugs, physician administered, and/or high-investment drugs;
(9) Hearing aids (covered for children only);
(11) High risk obstetrical (OB) services;
(12) Drug testing;
(13) Enteral therapy (covered for children only);
(15) Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT) services, supplies, or equipment that are determined to be medically necessary for a child or adolescent, and which are included within the categories of mandatory and optional services in Section 1905(a) of Title XIX, regardless of whether such services, supplies, or equipment are listed as covered in the Oklahoma Medicaid State Plan;
(16) Adaptive equipment for persons residing in private intermediate care facilities for individuals with intellectual disabilities (ICF/IID);
(17) Some ancillary services provided in a long-term care hospital or in a long term care facility;
(18) Rental of hospital beds, support surfaces, oxygen and oxygen related products, continuous positive airway pressure devices (CPAP and BiPAP), pneumatic compression devices, and lifts;
(19) Allergy testing and immunotherapy;
(20) Bariatric surgery;
(21) Genetic testing;
(22) Out-of-state services; and
(23) Meals, travel, and lodging.
(d) Providers should refer to the provider-specific Part for PA requirements. For additional PA information and submission requests, providers may refer to the OHCA Provider Billing and Procedure Manual and the SoonerCare Medical Necessity Criteria for Inpatient Behavioral Health Services Manual available at https://okhca.org.
Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.