Nutrition During Pregnancy
Follow the USDA recommended daily food guide and include in your diet:
- Milk and milk products (cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese)
- Protein foods (lean meats, eggs, peanut butter, beans, chicken, fish)
- Grain products (breads, pasta, dried beans, rice, corn tortillas)
- Fruits and vegetables
- Water, drink 6-8 glasses each day
You may need to eat smaller meals and eat more often during the day. It is important to gain some weight while you are pregnant. Talk to your doctor about how much weight you should gain.
WIC is the Women, Infants and Children Supplemental Nutrition Program and helps mothers, babies and children get the healthy foods they need.
WIC is free. It gives you healthy foods including milk, eggs, cheese, juice, cereal, dry beans, and peas. For infants who are not breast fed, WIC provides infant formula with iron.
You may be able to get WIC if you:
- are pregnant, breastfeeding or recently given birth
- have an infant or child younger than 5 years
- are eligible for SoonerCare, Food Stamps or TANF benefits.