Skip to main content

Call the helpline at 800-987-7767, option 5, and talk to choice counselors to change your SoonerSelect health plan!

OHCA Policies and Rules

317:30-5-696.1.  Anesthesia

[Revised 09-01-16]

Payment is made for medical and surgical services performed by a dentist to the extent such services may be performed under State law either by a doctor of dental surgery or dental medicine, when those services would be covered if performed by a physician. Payment is made to Dentists who have received appropriate formal education in conscious sedation and general anesthesia.

(1) Training to competency in conscious sedation techniques may be acquired at the predoctoral, postgraduate, graduate, or continuing education level. Dentists who wish to utilize conscious sedation are expected to successfully complete formal training which is structured in accordance with the American Dental Association's educational guidelines as well as the board of Dentistry for the State in which they practice.

(2) The knowledge and skills required for the administration of deep sedation and general anesthesia are beyond the scope of pre-doctoral and continuing education. Only dentists who have successfully completed an accredited/approved residency program in anesthesiology, for the administration of anesthetic agents will be permitted to provide and bill for this service.

(3) All anesthesia services must be provided in accordance with OAC 317:30-5-7.

(A) Dentists who provide or supervise deep sedation or general anesthesia are required to have training in anesthesiology, oral surgery or pediatric dentistry, such as in a residency curriculum. 

(B) To be considered qualified to supervise the administration of general anesthesia or deep sedation, OHCA requires a minimum of eighteen (18) hours of courses related to the administration of anesthesia, deep sedation or medical emergencies in the dental office every three (3) years.

Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.