Competency-Based Education (CBE) Resources
Publications from the Resource Center
- Powerpoint: Overview of Competency-Based Curriculum Essentials - This Powerpoint provides an overview of the essential components of competency-based curriculum.
- Resource Profile: Personalized Learning and Competency-Based Education - A selection of resources on personalized learning and CBE.
- Entrance/Exit Tickets - These Entrance tickets can be used to begin the day and assist students in setting goals for their instruction. The Exit tickets recap what students learned during the class and provide a way to clarify learning. They summarize learning and allow questioning and clarification for enhanced learning.
- A Recipe for Achievement Using Competency-Based Instruction - A handy way to assemble the ingredients of competency-based instruction to improve achievement by learners and teachers.
- Copyright and Fair Use Information for Educators - General guidelines for using copyrighted material in the classroom.
- A - Z Review - A-Z Review is a tool you can use in the classroom to reinforce learning. Students identify key words related to their recent learning. This can be used as an individual or group activity.
- Curriculum Review Rubric - A quick and easy visual guide to help determine if curriculum meets your needs.
- Developing Modules for Self-Paced Learning: A Handbook for Teachers - This handbook offers a framework for teachers who develop self-paced learning modules for their CareerTech courses. Topics include accessibility, copyright and fair use, organization, planning, grading rubrics, testing, and more. Useful profiles, guidelines, and checklists help you create an effective self-paced learning module in either digital or print format.
Links to Other Resources
The positions or viewpoints in the resources collected here reflect their authors and source organizations. They do not represent the Resource Center for CareerTech Advancement, the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education, or any employee of the state agency. No endorsement of organizations or viewpoints is implied by inclusion in this collection or on this web page.
- Beyond Proficient: How Three High Schools in Kentucky Implement Mastery Learning - This report describes how three Kentucky high schools in different districts, each working independently with the University of Kentucky to reform their educational practices, define, implement, and report on their mastery learning programs. The schools represent a variety of educational settings and range of experience with mastery learning.
- Overview of selected state policies and supports related to K-12 competency-based education - This 2017 report categorizes and summarizes state laws and regulations relevant to competency based-education. Policies associated with competency-based education are summarized for the seven states in the Regional Educational Laboratory Central region (Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming), as well five states identified as being proactive in aligning their policies to support competency-based education (Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, New Hampshire, and Oregon). This study also categorizes the different types of assistance and resources these states have provided to intentionally support competency-based education.
- Competency-Based Education Definitions - There is no “one specific thing” called competency based education. Further, related terms are used in different ways by different people, often causing confusion. This lexicon addresses these issues, developed by the American Council on Education and Blackboard as part of their joint research advancing competency based education.
- Competency-Based Advancement - This 2017 report describes the use of competency-based advancement as a dropout prevention strategy based on a nationally representative sample of more than 2,000 U.S. public high schools.