Skip to main content

Teen Driver

Graduated Driver License Program

Getting ready for your Intermediate License?

Take the free online Oklahoma Work Zone Safe Course below. A certificate of completion will be a requirement for an Intermediate License starting Nov. 1, 2023.

The Graduated Driver License (GDL) program gradually phases in driving privileges for new teen drivers as they gain experience behind the wheel. Learn about the four levels of driving privileges.

Visit the Driver Education page to prepare for the written and drive test.

The 4 Phases of the GDL Program


Student Driver (No License)

Student Driver

Learner Permit

Learner Permit

Intermediate License

Intermediate License

Unrestricted License

Unrestricted License

Teen Road Safety

Oklahoma's teenage drivers have more crashes than any other age group, which causes their insurance premiums to be exceptionally high. During their first year of driving, 25% of 16-year-olds either receive a ticket or are involved in a crash. There are two prevailing reasons why teenage drivers are at increased risk of being involved in motor vehicle-related crashes that result in injury or death:
  • Lack of driving experience: Lack of experience means the teenage driver is less able to detect and respond to traffic hazards.
  • Risk behavior of teenagers: Teenagers tend to take more risks as they are influenced by their emotions, stress and peer pressure. In addition, experimenting with alcohol and drugs can impair the teenager’s driving ability.

Parents Should Know

When your teen enters his or her driving years, it can generate a mix of excitement and worry for both you and your child. The more you know about the licensing process and teen driving laws in Oklahoma, and the more you communicate about the responsibilities that come with driving, the better prepared you both will be.
  • Parent Influence and Setting Ground Rules: Get started on helping your teen become a safe and capable driver. Spell Out the Rules - no cell phones, no passengers, no speeding, no alcohol, no driving when tired, and always buckle up. These rules could help save your teen’s life. For more information and tips on teen driving click here.

Did You Know?

Parent-Taught Driver Education is an alternative to conventional Driver Education, where parents and children use Approved Parent-Taught Driver Education Providers recognized by Service Oklahoma.


Click here to apply.

Effective November 1, 2023, teens aged 14 to 17 years old, living or employed for compensation on a farm in the state of Oklahoma, will be eligible to apply for a Farm Driving Permit which allows them to operate any Class D motor vehicle with restrictions. 


Click here to learn more.

Starting Nov. 1, 2023, teens will be required to take the online Oklahoma Work Zone Safe Course to help them better understand the risks and responsibilities when driving through a work zone. A certificate of completion will be a requirement for an Intermediate License.


Click here to begin the course.

Frequently Asked Questions

While Learner Permits, Intermediate Licenses, and Unrestricted Licenses are not inherently REAL IDs, a REAL ID credential can be added to them at the time they are issued. If you would like to have the Real ID credential added, please bring the required Real ID documents with you to your appointment. Use the Real ID Interactive Checklist to ensure you bring the correct documents by clicking here.  

Parent Taught Driver Education is an alternative to conventional Driver Education that is recognized by Service Oklahoma. It is offered as correspondence study through Approved Parent Taught Driver Education Providers.

The student must be at least 15 years of age in order to be eligible to start the classroom portion of the course. The student cannot start any behind-the-wheel training until they have a Learner Permit.

You can find the Parent Taught Driver Education Affidavit by clicking here. The packet will detail the process of how to get started and what actions need to be taken.

Please see the Transfer Page for information on how to transfer Learner Permits, Intermediate Licenses, and Unrestricted Licenses from another state.

For more information on transferring a Learner Permit from another country, please visit a Licensing Office.