Skip to main content

Impounded vehicles

Vehicle Impounded by Law Enforcement

If your vehicle was impounded by law enforcement, you can locate your vehicle by providing your VIN number.

Recover your Impounded Vehicle

Once you have located the wrecker service in possession of your vehicle, and assuming law enforcement has no holds on your vehicle, you will need to bring:

One Acceptable Proof of Ownership

  • Title registered in owner’s name
  • Title properly signed by the seller, dated, notarized (if required on title) and the owner's name filled out on the title
  • A non-expired Oklahoma, other state, or Tribal title or registration
  • An official Licensed Operator printout showing you as the registered owner
  • Verification from originating law enforcement agency

One Acceptable Proof of Identification

  • Oklahoma Driver License
  • Oklahoma identification card
  • Other state driver license
  • Other state or federally issued photo identification

One Acceptable Proof of Insurance

  • Valid insurance verification form with the VIN of vehicle the listed
  • Valid insurance policy with the VIN of vehicle listed
  • Valid affidavit of non-use; however with this form of proof the vehicle cannot be driven from facility
  • Valid affidavit of non-use; however with this form of proof the vehicle cannot be driven from facility

It is not required that the proof of insurance to be listed in the owner's name.

Digital or Electronic forms of verification will be accepted.


The Oklahoma Corporation Commission is responsible for all rates and fees charged by wrecker services. You can visit the OCC site if you have questions or complaints regarding rates and fees that wrecker services charge for towing vehicles and vehicle storage.

Download the Oklahoma Corporation Commission’s Nonconsensual Tow Rate Complaint Form here.

Frequently Asked Questions

As long as law enforcement has no holds on the vehicle, a person representing the owner, upon presentation of, a notarized letter from the owner permitting said person to act on behalf of the owner, with year, make, model and vehicle identification number of the vehicle and proof as listed in the paragraph above.

You must present to the wrecker operator proof of being a lien holder [42 O.S. § 91A]. Proof would be a printout from a tag agent showing you as the lien holder as listed on the title, or a title showing you as the registered lien holder. You would also need a Hold Harmless Affidavit filled out authorizing whoever you choose to pick up or tow the vehicle. You will have to show proof of insurance or provide an affidavit of nonuse signed by you. When a nonuse affidavit is provided, if the vehicle is driven from the storage, the driver may be subject to a violation of law due to the affidavit specifies nonuse. Towing or hauling may be the best resource.

Yes, lien holders are not exempt from having to buy a license plate when law enforcement placed a hold on a vehicle for taxes due the state.

Yes, Used Car Dealers are not exempt from having to purchase a license if the license is expired past its grace period. Dealers are exempt from keeping license plates up to date while on their dealer lot.

First, if possible, advise the officer at the scene of your request so that he may relay the information to dispatch, and they in turn can relay the information to the wrecker service. When the wrecker service arrives on the scene, speak to the wrecker driver to make sure he knows the address of where you want your vehicle to go and make sure he/she knows who will be paying them when they arrive at the destination you requested. If no one is at the location to pay the driver, they will take the vehicle back to their storage facility and you will be charged for the extra mileage and storage of the vehicle.

Wrecker Services may release an unlicensed utility trailer with a bill of sale. If the trailer was purchased from a dealer, the owner should have a Manufacture Statement of Origin (MSO). Also, Wrecker Services could release the trailer if the towing vehicle and trailer were towed into the lot together and the owner is the same for both units, with documented ownership of the towing vehicle.