Skip to main content

SoonerStart/Early Intervention

Are you concerned about how your child is playing, understanding, growing? Sooner Start is Oklahoma's Early Intervention program for families of infants and toddlers (birth to 36 months) who have developmental delays.

Your child's first three years of life are an amazing time of growth and learning. Sometimes children have special needs or health issues that may put them at risk for a developmental delay. They might just need an extra "boost."

How Can Sooner Start Help You:

  • Learn about and enhance your child's development 
  • Find information and community resources 
  • Connect with parent-to-parent support networks 

SoonerStart services

SoonerStart Services are provided by qualified personnel: such as child development specialists, nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, registered dieticians, speech and language pathologists, social workers, and many others.

Sooner Start can help you and your child learn new skills that will make a lifetime of difference. Children learn and develop through being with their family, friends and other in their life. We can help your family find opportunities for valuable learning within your child's daily routines such as playtime, mealtime, or bedtime.

Where to turn for help

If you have questions about your child's development, SoonerStart professionals in your community can provide a developmental evaluation, if you have questions about your child's development. If your child is eligible for services, we provide services where your child typically spends time: for example, home or child care.

Sooner Start is regulated by law and funded through various federal and state sources. Services are offered at no charge to families.

If you are concerned about your child's development, please call the Woods County Health Department at (580) 327-3192, for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who can make a referral to SoonerStart?
A: Any one. We have had referrals made by friends, family, physicians, and other agencies.

Q: How do I know if my child qualifies?
A: You can call and speak to the Resource Coordinator and she will help set up an appointment for a screening and/or evaluation.

Related Topics
Back to Top