Skip to main content

Construction & Properties FAQ

Whenever the project dollar amount is less than or equal to One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000.00).

Yes, public construction contracts for less than Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00) for minor maintenance or minor repair work may be negotiated with a qualified contractor by the agency.  However, no work shall be started until a written contract is executed and proof of insurance has been provided by the contractor to the awarding public agency.

Whenever the project is expected to be over $100,000.00

Title 61 of the Oklahoma Statutes describes the statutory requirements for the selection of consultants and construction managers for construction projects for all State agencies. The division of Capital Assets Management, Construction and Properties, is mandated to monitor and approve the selection process. Guidelines for an agency are described in Consultant Selection Process (CAP Form M100) and in Construction Manager Selection Process (CAP Form M200).

By statute, an architect is required for any public project when the cost of construction is $158,000.00 or more. Some projects less than $158,000.00 may also require an architect due to complexity or special requirements. Engineers are generally required for mechanical, electrical, structural or civil work regardless of cost, although minor electrical and mechanical maintenance or replacement work does not. Asbestos, environmental and other types of consultants may also be necessary.  A CAP project manager is available to discuss and advise concerning the requirements for your specific project.

All consultants and construction managers desiring to perform services for the State of Oklahoma must be registered with CAP. Registration requires completing and submitting appropriate forms. Consultants fill out a Consultant Registration Questionnaire (CAP Form M254), and construction managers fill out a Construction Manager's Qualification Statement (CAP Form D305). Registration process takes less than 10 days. Registrations are valid for one year from the date of the approval notification from CAP. Consultants and construction managers may not be solicited for projects until they are registered with CAP, but may register any time up to 6  business days prior to the due date stated on a solicitation.

Some of them. Monthly payment applications for projects bid through CAP or for consultants hired through a CAP IDIQ program must be submitted to CAP for approval by the project manager and/or the state construction administrator. CAP will forward the approved pay applications to the appropriate agency for payment. For smaller projects, generally those without a design consultant, the invoice for construction work is submitted directly to the agency for payment.

Projects currently out for bid are posted on the CAP page of this website. Plans and specs are available for viewing, free of charge, on this web page or at Construction & Properties, Suite 106, Will Rogers Building, 2401 N. Lincoln Blvd., OKC, OK 73105-4402. Projects are also advertised in a local newspaper in compliance with Title 61 of the Oklahoma Statutes and in The Journal Record and/or The Tulsa Daily Commerce and Legal News. Bid notices are also provided to the major local plan rooms.

You do not have to buy plans from CAP in order to bid on a project. Plans and specifications may be viewed free of charge or purchased as an electronic download or paper copy from the Online Plan Room accessible from the CAP Bids & Drawings page of the Construction and Properties web site.

No, money paid for bid documents is non-refundable.

Addenda are written or graphic instructions issued by CAP prior to the Bid Opening date, which modify or interpret the Bid Documents by additions, deletions, clarifications or corrections. Addenda Notification will be sent by e-mail or fax to all who are known by CAP to have ordered bid documents from CAP's Online Plan Room. Copies of the addenda will be made available for inspection at CAP. No addenda will be issued later than seven (7) calendar days prior to the date for receipt of bids except an addendum withdrawing the request for bids or one that includes postponement of the date for receipt of bids.

There is no official bidder's list. Bid opportunities are posted on our web site and all responsible contractors are invited to bid. 

There is usually an architect/consultant's phone number or an agency contact person on the cover of the bid documents or on the Solicitation For Bids (Bid Notice). The Consultant (architect, engineer, etc...) is under contract to the State of Oklahoma for the purpose of designing and monitoring the construction of the project. You may call the CAP receptionist at 405-521-2112 and ask for the project by the CAP number. There will usually be a mandatory or non-mandatory pre-bid meeting at the site of the project. These meetings are for the bidder's information and a good time to ask questions. When the meeting is "mandatory" a prospective bidder or an independent contractor, authorized to represent the company, must be present and sign in to be eligible to bid on the project.

Yes, but only when requested in the Solicitation For Bids (Bid Notice). Annual pre-qualification is no longer required. When required for a specific project, instructions and submittal requirements will be stated in the Bid Documents.

Currently, bids are only accepted online

The bid opening is open to the public. Usually the same day as the bid due date, the Bid Tab Sheet will be uploaded to the Online Plan Room accessible from the CAP Bids & Drawings page of the Construction and Properties web site.  The bids are reviewed and evaluated concurrently by the State Agency and the Construction and Properties Department to determine the lowest responsible bidder.  Contracts are usually awarded within 30 days.  When a contract is awarded, the Bid Award information is posted to the Online Plan Room.

The Project Manual contains a Checklist For Bidders. Follow this list and make sure you have completed each item before submitting your bid. Failure to do so could invalidate your bid.

Insurance requirements will be stated in the Bid documents. The minimum requirements are: general liability not less than $100,000/$300,000; property damage insurance of not less than $50,000/$100,000; automobile insurance and Worker's Compensation insurance. Larger projects will require higher amounts and builders risk insurance.

Pursuant to Title 61, Section 133.B.4., Workers' Compensation insurance is required for all construction contracts greater than Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000.00). For construction contracts less than $50,000.00 the Department requires proof of Workers' Compensation insurance OR CAP Form D312 Statement of Exemption from The Workers' Compensation Act Affidavit stating that the contractor qualifies for an exemption allowed under Title 85, Section 2.6.

Bonds are required for a sum equal to the contract amount when a contract exceeds One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000.00). Three bonds are required: (1) statutory performance bond; (2) defect bond; and, (3) payment bond. All bonds must be on the forms prescribed and issued by CAP to the successful Bidder on the contract.

A bid bond, certified check or cashier's check is required whenever a bid is greater than One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000.00). Generally the bid bond, certified check or cashier's check is 5% of the bid amount unless otherwise specified in the Solicitation for Bids (Bid Notice).

Yes, the letter of credit must be issued by a financial institution insured by the FDIC or the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation on a form obtained from Construction and Properties.

Contracts awarded by Construction and Properties are not exempt from sales tax unless specifically indicated by the Bid Documents.

Visitor parking is on the west side of the Will Rogers Building.