Trauma Transfer and Referral Centers (TReC)
The establishment of Trauma Transfer and Referral Centers was established by statute, OS §63-1-2530.8. – Rule: OS 310:641-3-130 In Oklahoma this program is known as TReC.
This requirement is for communities with = or > than 300,000 in population.
TReC establishes that ambulance services transporting pre-hospital patients or transferring patients’ inter-facility must contact the Trauma Transfer and Referral Center if their destination hospital is within:
- Oklahoma County or communities that are contiguous to it including Mustang, Norman and Yukon. These are Oklahoma Trauma Regions 6 and 8.
- Tulsa County. This is Oklahoma Trauma Region 7.
Pre-hospital patients or transferring patients inter-facility must contact TReC before entering into these counties and communities.
- Ensure patients go directly to the most appropriate facility
- Reduce over-triage and under-triage
- Preserve highest-level resources for the most severely injured
- Help to limit demands on scarce specialists.
To accomplish this TReC will:
- Receive calls on all trauma patients being transported into Region 7 and 8 by ambulance including:
- Pre-hospital direct patient transports
- Ambulance initiated data reporting of Interfacility transports
- Hospital requested “facilitation” of patient transfers
- Ensure trauma patients from anywhere in the state inbound to facilities in region 7 or 8 are directed to facilities with appropriate clinical capacity and capability.
- Record each transport for quality improvement review
Contact TReC at 1-888-658-7262.
Oklahoma State Department of Health
123 Robert S Kerr Ave, Suite 1702
Oklahoma City, OK 73102-6406
Office: (405) 426-8480
Fax: (405) 900-7560 or 4059007560@Xmedius.com (using email)