Skip to main content

Provider Certification

A certification (license) from the Okla. Dept. of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (ODMHSAS) is mandated by Oklahoma Statute at Title 43A for the following types of programs prior to provision of treatment services: Alcohol and Drug Treatment, Community Mental Health Centers, Gambling Treatment, Eating Disorder Treatment, Community-Based Structured Crisis Centers, Programs of Assertive Community Treatment, Comprehensive Community Addiction Recovery Centers, and Opioid Substitution Treatment. A national accreditation may not be substituted for certification by the ODMHSAS for any of the above referenced program types.

Title 43A also mandates that Community Residential Mental Health providers be certified, if they contract with the ODMHSAS. Additionally, pursuant to Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) rules, any providers of Outpatient Mental Health services for Medicaid reimbursement may be certified by the ODMHSAS in lieu of having a national accreditation. During the minimum six-month phase for the Permit for Temporary Operation, providers cannot bill OHCA for services rendered.

The law provides for exemption from the certification process for licensed physicians, psychologists, social workers, certified alcohol and drug abuse counselors, and individual members of the clergy. This exemption applies only to professional individuals in their private practice, and not to any treatment facilities operated by such persons.  

View Title 43A here:


ODMHSAS will be providing trainings on the revised rules and processes on August 24-26, 2022. The trainings will be provided in-person and virtually on the following schedule: 

  • Wednesday, August 24th, 9 am-12 pm: General Information on Changes


  • Thursday, August 25th, 1 pm-4 pm: General Information on Changes and Overview of Chapter 27 (Mental Illness Service Programs) and Chapter 70 (OTPs)


  • Friday, August 26th, 9 am-12 pm: General Information on Changes and Overview of Chapter 17 (CMHC/CCBHC), Chapter 18 (Substance-Related and Addictive Disorder Treatment Programs), Chapter 23 (CBSCC), and Chapter 24 (CCARC)


The training will be recorded and available for providers to access afterwards.


Helpful Phone Numbers and Links

Questions about behavioral health provider status for Medicaid reimbursement?

• Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA), 800-522-0114

How do I check licensing for a mental health residential care facility or nursing home in Oklahoma?

• Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH), 800-522-0203

Questions about becoming a Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselor (LADC)?

• Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselors (LADC), 405-521-0779

Questions about Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT, LBP licensing)?

• Oklahoma State Board of Behavioral Health, 405-522-3696

Questions about becoming a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW)?

• Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Clinical Social Workers, 405-521-3712

How can my company become licensed to provide domestic violence/sexual assault or batterers’ intervention services?

• Oklahoma Office of the Attorney General, Victim Services Unit, 405-521-3921

Back to Top