Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System
Financial well-being is being satisfied with your current situation and future financial goals. But most people, at one time or another, has needed advice on how to manage their economic life. We have partnered with OPERS and other entities to provide educational opportunities that help you learn how to get started to manage your current finances and plan for your future.
OPERS manages the public pension system for state employees and wants to ensure all members achieve a secure and lasting retirement. They provide educational seminars for employees throughout the state. Below is a snapshot of their offerings. For a complete list and descriptions, click here to visit the OPERS Member Education page.
- For those within two years of retirement eligibility.
- Schedule is available at opers.ok.gov/pre-retirement-seminar-schedule.
- Call OPERS at 405-858-6737 or toll-free 800-733-9008 to register.
Principles of Financial Planning and Retirement Planning
- A full-day class provided through OMES Training & Development.
- Please go through your nominating official to sign up.
- Both are on-demand two-hour training classes.
- Requirement of 35 in attendance.
- Contact OPERS to schedule.
Empower is contracted with the Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System to recordkeep the SoonerSave and Pathfinder retirement plans and provide education about these plans to State of Oklahoma employees. These one-hour presentations offered by Empower are:
- Basics of OPERS pension plan.
- Basics of SoonerSave:
- How it works with OPERS to help fill in the retirement income gaps.
- The difference between the 457 and 401(a) plans.
- Contribution amounts and changes.
- Investment options and asset allocation.
- Website navigation.
- The highlights of your plan.
- Why you should save for your retirement.
- How much you might want to save.
- Strategies for investing.
- The investment options available to you through Pathfinder.
- Distribution options at retirement/end of employment.
- Website navigation.
To schedule a training presentation, contact Marc Pierce at 405-315-0558 or email email@example.com.
Online Financial Management Training
This list of online training and education resources are for those who are not able to attend in-person training. These offer a variety of financial education trainings from different resources, at no cost to you.
OK Money Matters – Self-Paced Learning Modules
You will learn how to make your money matter in every stage of life. From buying a car or house to getting married and having kids, the modules give you the tools you need to make informed financial decisions.
Selections of online modules:
- Love & Money: protecting your financial future no matter your relationship status.
- Money Management for College Students: making your money work for you while living the college life.
- Budgeting: getting the most out of your money by creating a realistic spending plan.
- Auto Loans: learning to look beyond the monthly payment to get the best car for your needs.
- Transition to Independence: learning to successfully navigate your financial life after college.
- Saving and Banking: exploring how to plan for your future and build wealth.