Skip to main content

FAQ’S Regarding the Application Process

What is the fax number for reporting a critical incident?

  • The fax number for reporting a critical incident is 405-248-9325. Please note that this fax number is for reporting critical incidents ONLY.

How do I obtain a contract through ODMHSAS?

  • The ODMHSAS is not currently seeking additional providers at this time. However, we frequently write for grants and are quite successful at getting them. Grant awards are typically for targeted programs based on the federal government’s goals and targeted project needs.
  • The ODMHSAS usually sends out announcements on the Department of Central Services (DCS) site when funds are available. Once the announcement is out, providers have a specified deadline date to apply for an RFP (Request for Proposal).
  • In order to get an announcement from DCS, potential RFP awardees must register as a “vendor” on the DCS website. Not only are ODMHSAS opportunities on the DCS site, but other state agencies send out potential funding opportunities as well.
  • To register as a DCS vendor, click on this site. The website name is also here:
  • There is no paper version of the application, so it is all online.
  • To complete the vendor portion of registration, you must complete 12 steps, which require business information about your company; a substitute W-9 form (for US entities); and, Family/Class/Commodity Codes for which your company is interested. Upon completion of these steps, you can submit your registration along with the applicable payment using EFT or a credit card. Payment of a $25 fee is required for registering on the DCS system and is paid annually for a renewal.
  • All payments are made through an encrypted secure server and payment information is not stored after a transaction. You will receive confirmation after your registration is validated and approved by the Central Purchasing Division.

How do I obtain a contract through OHCA?

  •  OHCA is a separate state entity. Questions related to Medicaid contracts or billing should be directed to OHCA at 800-522-0114 or

When can I begin billing for services rendered?

  • Title 43A requires providers to be certified in order to provide alcohol and drug treatment services. (43A O.S. §3-415(A)(1). Certification is required regardless of funding source. Because of this, certification must take place prior to billing. The first step of the certification process is obtaining a Permit for Temporary Operations (PTO). This phase lasts for approximately six months, enabling you to begin providing services - developing your caseload and preparing the appropriate documentation for services rendered. Towards the end of the PTO period, you will receive a subsequent review, during which time, ODMHSAS will review your clinical documentation. At the conclusion of this review process, if you are able to clear all deficiencies, we will make a recommendation to our board that you become certified. Upon Board approval, as well as completion of any billing requirements from any other parties, i.e. Medicaid, private insurance, you will be able to bill.
  • Mental health treatment providers who are seeking certification through ODMHSAS must also go through the PTO process, outlined above. During the six month time period, providers cannot bill OHCA for services rendered.

What is the certification process?  Can you please tell me the steps involved?

I provide therapy from a non-commercial site. Will the site be suitable for certification?

  • Depending on the type of program for which you are seeking certification, the applicable chapter will have several standards that relate to the physical property as well as how the site will accommodate your consumers and the functioning of your agency. Relevant standards may include ADA compliance, confidentiality, physical environment and record storage. Please refer to the applicable chapter for the standards that pertain to the type of program for which certification is desired.

I will be providing therapy exclusively in homes, schools, and in community settings. Do I need to have a physical site certified?

  • The following chapters offer certifications for programs only: Chapters 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 27, 55, 60, 65, and 70. These chapters do not offer certifications on an individual basis. Therefore, you will need to have a program site that is compliant with all relevant standards of the programs' chapter for which you are seeking certification.

The fire inspection that I would like to submit cites deficiencies. Will this be accepted as part of my application?

  • No, any deficiencies cited on the fire inspection must be cleared and this documented by the fire inspection personnel.

I have a fire inspection from a private company or landlord approving the location.  Is that acceptable?

  • No, the fire inspection must be conducted by a local fire department or the State Fire Marshal.

What do I need to do if my program is relocating to a different address?  

  • Written notice must be provided to Provider Certification with the effective date of the relocation, locations moving from and to, and a current and approved fire inspection for the new location.  (AS A REMNDER, THE NEW LOCATION IS NOT APPROVED UNTIL PROVIDER CERTIFICATION COMPLETES A SITE VISIT AND ISSUES THE APPROVAL NOTICE.)

Do I have to put the names of the employees in the organizational chart, can I just put the positions?

  • You must have both the names and the positions in the organizational chart.  

My agency is an LLC.  Do I have to have a Board of Directors?

  • No.   

My agency is a corporation (Inc.).  Do I have to have a Board of Directors?

  • Yes

Can I use my business address and phone number for the Board Members?

  • No. The Board Members’ own addresses and phone numbers must be used.

Instead of sending you the Certificate of Incorporation (or Limited Liability Company) certificate, can I just send you the online receipt that shows I paid for it.

  • No.  A copy of the actual Certificate must be sent in with your application documentation.

What kind of zoning information do you want and where can I get it?  (This is for A/D applications only.)

  • You must contact the local zoning entity of your town.  That will vary with the size of the town.   It may be the zoning board, city manager, public works division, or some other entity designated by your town.
  • You must request a written statement on official letterhead that each of your treatment facilities is located in compliance with applicable zoning ordinances.  

Is a program description the same as a Mission Statement?

  • No.  The program description must describe, not list, each of the services your agency will be providing, including those your agency is required to provide and those optional services you may have selected on the application form. It must also address how and by whom that service will be provided.  

Can I send you just the one letter from my national accreditation company that says how long we will be accredited and what kinds of programs for which we are accredited?

  • No.  You must send all of the following information when you submit your application:  current accreditation status, the programs included in the most recent accreditation survey, survey reports, reports of subsequent actions initiated by the accrediting organization, plans of correction if applicable, and the time period for which accreditation has been granted.

FAQ’s Regarding the Certification Process

I’ve submitted my policy and procedure for review. How many opportunities will I have to fix any deficiencies?

  • Because of the large number of providers that Provider Certification is constantly working with, there are limited opportunities to review policy and procedure. It is because of this that providers are encouraged to spend time ensuring that their policy meets standards, prior to submitting their policy and procedure to Provider Certification for the first time. Once submitted, policy and procedures are reviewed three times by reviewers. If there are still outstanding deficiencies following the third review, then the application may be recommended for denial.

I’ve been asked to provide a “full record” for my review. What does that mean?

  • A complete record shows the full range of services, from intake and assessment, to treatment plan to progress notes that show provision of services.

My review for Chapter 18, Alcohol and Drug Treatment, is coming up. What type of files will be looked at for a Chapter 18, Alcohol and Drug Treatment review?

  • The reviewers will look at records in which the primary diagnosis is substance abuse/dependence and the documentation in the record (assessments and progress notes), supports that this is a substance abuse treatment record.

I’ve been told that I need to provide five open records but I only have three. Can I still be reviewed?

  • Yes, you can still be reviewed. However, not having five records will impact the length of your certification and you must still achieve a score of 75% on your initial clinical record review in order to move forward with certification.

When the reviewers look at my clinical records, which consumer records will they be reviewing?

  • The reviewers will examine selected records that have been opened since the last certification. For the closed record portion, they will be looking at records that have been closed since the last certification.

In the chapter that I am seeking certification, it asks for staff to receive trainings. Does this apply to contract therapists and administrative positions?

  • Yes, it applies to all staff.

The ASAM form that I want to utilize, at admission, only screens for the level of care that I have. Will this form be compliant for 18-7-21?

  • No, this standard requires a list of symptoms for all six dimensions and each level of care to be present on the ASAM form that is utilized.  The purpose of the ASAM form is to see where a consumer lies in the spectrum of the levels of care. Upon performing the ASAM, the consumer may not require your level of care. However, from screening for all levels of care, this will allow the provider to see which level of care the consumer requires and they can then refer the consumer to where they need to go. Some type of decision tree/documentation connecting the symptoms with the outcome (level of care) is also required to show how the clinician arrived at their decision.

The ASAM form that I want to utilize, at discharge, only screens out for the level of care that I have. Will this form be compliant for 18-7-121?

  • No, for the above reasons. The purpose is to see which level of care the consumer requires, upon leaving your facility. As above, some type of decision tree/documentation is required which connects the symptoms with the outcome (level of care), to show how the clinician arrived at their decision.

I would like to utilize the ODASL for my ASAM instrument. Is the ODASL compliant with the standards which refer to ASAM?

  • Yes, the ODASL is compliant. Please ensure that, with the ODASL, you also utilize the ODASL Treatment Service Level Placement sheet which will serve as the decision tree/documentation connecting the dots between how the consumer scored and the level for care that was chosen. The ODASL Treatment Service Level Placement Sheet is a separate sheet that can be found here:

Last Modified on Jun 26, 2018
Back to Top