Skip to main content

Older Americans Act Title III Programs Services for Older Oklahomans

Aging Services offers free services to older Oklahomans to help maintain their dignity and independence. To receive services, the older Oklahoman must be 60 years or older. A network of organizations review the person’s needs and offers services to meet those needs. The services are offered to assist older Oklahomans to avoid being placed in a nursing facility and to live independently in their own homes.

The Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) help local communities to provide the services. The AAAs try, especially, to target resources from all appropriate sources to meet the needs of older Oklahomans with greatest economic or social need, with particular emphasis on:

  • low income
  • minority persons
  • persons residing in rural or isolated areas;
  • persons with severe disabilities;
  • persons with limited English proficiency;
  • persons at risk for institutional placement;
  • persons with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders with neurological and organic brain dysfunction and the caretakers of such persons; and 


To see if a person can apply for services, the AAA assesses the needs of each person. Once a person receives services, if there are changes in the client’s needs, the AAA will review the client’s needs again each year. The AAA will try to find the best services to help the person. 

A person does not need to be low-income to receive services. However, the AAA may ask about a person’s income to see if the client may be eligible for other programs that do require that person to be low–income.

Services Outside the Home

Congregate meals are healthy meals cooked and served in a group setting at local sites such as senior centers, community centers, schools, and adult day centers. The program also provides seniors with opportunities to meet other seniors and to volunteer. The meals follow the most recent national dietary guidelines. The meals are planned and reviewed by a Registered Dietitian and must meet one-third of the recommended daily requirement.


  • Persons who are 60 years of age or older and their spouses of any age can attend congregate meals. 
  • Persons with a disability, under 60, who live with a person over 60, sometimes can attend congregate meals. The person with a disability can attend only if caring for that person would prevent the older person from attending the meal. Also, if the person with a disability attends, that cannot prevent the older person and spouse from joining in. The person with a disability must go with the older person to the site.
  •  Persons with a disability under 60 years of age who reside in housing facilities, occupied primarily by older persons and where congregate nutrition services are provided.


At the initial evaluation, staff will discuss all aspects of program participation, including the opportunity to contribute to the cost of meals and possible eligibility for home-delivered meals.  Each person who wants to attend a congregate meal must complete and sign all necessary forms.  The forms give information about the service and let the staff get necessary information to serve the person better

Health Promotion services allow older persons to attain and hold onto their physical and mental well-being by attending programs such as educational presentations, exercise programs, and health screening activities. The programs are disease prevention programs and activities demonstrated to be evidence-based. The programs also support family members and other persons providing voluntary care to older persons who need long-term care services.

Information and Assistance services connect an older person or caregiver with local services that a person might need. The staff gives current information on services and resources in the community. Older Oklahomans can get information on how to connect with the services within their communities and help in reaching the service.


Long-Term Care Ombudsman:
Ombudsman advocate for the rights of residents in long-term care facilities. 

Become a volunteer Ombudsman?
The ombudsman program is supported by local volunteers who are committed to improving the lives of older persons in institutions. The Area Agencies on Aging Ombudsman Supervisors train, supervise and support the volunteers.  

Interested in volunteering? Reach out!
Phone: 1-800-211-2116 
Send an email

Compare Nursing Homes?
Medicare provides information to help individuals decide what nursing home will meet their needs.   The "Nursing Home Compare" allows searches by state, county, name of facility or proximity.     

File a complaint with an Ombudsman?
To file a complaint, simply e-mail

File a complaint with the Health Department?
Long-term care facilities must be licensed by the Oklahoma Department of Health to provide care.  Complaints can be made directly to the Health Department.

What does the ombudsman do with a complaint?
A long-term care ombudsman is a person who receives complaints from residents of long-term care facilities, their friends or relative and attempts to resolve those complaints within the facility.  The Ombudsman has the authority to explore problems and recommend corrective action to the facility.


Nutrition Counseling is provided by a Registered Dietician to a person who needs nutritional help because of not eating right, using certain medications, or having a chronic illness. A person is counseled on what can be done do to improve his or her diet and make changes that will have the most impact. 

Nutrition Education is a program that teaches participants ways to have better health. The education provides information on the benefits of healthy eating and physical fitness. It provides instruction to participants, caregivers, or both in a group or individual setting.  The nutrition education program is approved by a Registered Dietitian and is provided at least once per month to congregate and home-delivered meals participants

The Outreach service provides one-on-one assistance. It reaches out to older Oklahomans, who might not know about local services, and encourages them to learn about and use the services. It helps older Oklahomans to access the services and benefits.  

The Transportation service provides transportation for a person who requires help in going from one location to another. Trips to the nutrition site, the bank, the doctor's office or grocery store allow older persons who no longer drive to remain independent in their communities. 

In-Home Services

Chore Services help older Oklahomans to stay in their homes. The services include heavy housework, yard work, or sidewalk maintenance.  Participants may use up to $150 each year to buy materials and disposable supplies to complete chore tasks.


Persons who can to participate in the Chore program would have difficulty with one or more of the Instrumental Activities of Daily Living, including

  •   preparing meals
  • shopping for personal items
  • managing medication
  • managing money
  • using the telephone
  • doing heavy housework
  • doing light housework
  • using available transportation without assistance.

The Homemaker service provides help in preparing meals, shopping for personal items, using the telephone, or doing light housework.


The staff will evaluate the participant to verify that the participant is prevented from doing the work for himself or herself. This can be because of a personal limitation or because friends or neighbors cannot help to meet their needs.

Home-delivered meals are provided to an eligible person at the person’s place of residence.  The meals follow the most recent national dietary guidelines. Home-delivered meals are often the first in-home service that an older adult receives. The meals are planned and reviewed by a Registered Dietitian and must meet one-third of the recommended daily requirement.


Persons who can participate in the home delivered meals program include: 

  • Persons 60 years of age or older
  • Persons who are homebound and have no one to help with meal preparation. “Homebound” means a person is unable to leave home without the help of another person
  • Persons with a disability under 60 years of age who live with the homebound older person  
  • Persons who are unable to do at least two Activities of Daily Living without great help or who require a lot of supervision because of an impairment. Activities of Daily Living include:
    • eating
    • dressing
    • bathing
    • toileting
    • moving in and out of bed or chair
    • walking


When a person meets with the AAA, the staff will look at many factors including the opportunity to contribute to the cost of meals. Each person who wants to receive home-delivered meals must complete and sign all necessary forms.  The forms give information about the service and let the staff get required information to serve the person better

Home Repair service provides minor repairs, changes, or upkeep to the home that is owned and occupied by any older Oklahomans. The person can spend up to $250 each year on the home.


The older Oklahoman must own and live in the home that needs home repairs services. 

National Family Caregiver Support Program

Respite Programs

Related Links


Sign up by clicking on the envelope below to have communications sent straight to your phone or email

Back to Top