Book Awards Eligibility Requirements
- Any individual, organization, or company may enter in any appropriate category.
- Books considered for this award must have an Oklahoma based theme, or entrants (authors, illustrators, photographers, or book designers) must live or have lived in Oklahoma.
- Books must have been published between January 1 and December 31 the previous year. For example, those eligible for the 2023 awards will have books published in 2022.
- Books - hardcover or paperback - entered in previous Oklahoma Book Award competitions are not eligible.
- Entries must be received by the deadline.
- $25 entry fee is required for each category entered.
- Entrants will be responsible for all shipping charges—collect shipments will be refused.
- The awards committee reserves the right to change the category of an entry.
- No award will be given in categories where fewer than five entries have been submitted.
A panel of judges will consider all entries. Judges will grant awards at their discretion. Panel members represent a range of expertise in the writing and publishing fields covered by the award categories. Entries in all categories (except the Book Design/Illustration or Photography category) are principally judged on the quality of writing, with organization and interpretation also playing a role in the decision.
As an affiliate of the Library of Congress, the Oklahoma Department of Libraries operates the Oklahoma Center for the Book. The Center’s mission is to promote Oklahoma authors, celebrate the state’s literary heritage, and encourage reading for pleasure by Oklahomans.
To accomplish this mission, the Oklahoma Center for the Book sponsors the annual Oklahoma Book Awards, arranges author visits to Oklahoma communities, supports statewide literary conferences and events, and participates in special reading and literacy projects for young people.
The Oklahoma Book Awards is sponsored by the Oklahoma Department of Libraries, the Oklahoma Center for the Book and the Friends of the Oklahoma Center for the Book.