School-Based Services Program Overview
We are so glad your school is considering partnering with the Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) to have a School-Based Specialist placed in your school.
The application process for the 2021-22 school year is currently open.
Key Responsibilities of School-Based Specialists:
- Provide a collaborative link between the schools and the OKDHS/community partners/resources
- Identify and assess needs of students and identify appropriate responses.
- Track and document services rendered to students and their families .
- Serve as a resource connection for students and families
Required Educational Requirements for School-Based Specialists Level I
A Bachelor's Degree;
OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting one year of experience in professional social work for each year of the required education.
A Master's degree;
OR, a Bachelor's degree and one year of experience in professional social work;
OR, an equivalent combination of education and social work, substituting one year of professional social work for each year of the required education.
Preferred disciplines: Education, Social Work, Counseling, Psychology or other related field. The interview is conducted by a representative of the OKDHS and a representative of the local school district. OKDHS will make the final selection, with consideration of the district's preferences. Training for School-Based Specialists School-Based Specialists will receive training developed through a partnership with the Oklahoma State Department of Education, the OKDHS, and the University of Oklahoma Child Welfare Training and Simulation Center. Training will take place during summer 2021. It is an expectation and requirement that all districts allow the School-Based Specialists to attend all days of summer training prior to interacting with students and families in the 2021-2022 school year. Next Steps Please carefully review the School-Based Services Program Assurances and the School-Based Services contract prior to beginning the application, to ensure agreement with program requirements. School-Based Services Program Assurances
- School districts will ensure that all requirements of the School-Based Services program are met.
- The School-Based Specialist and any other staff requested by OKDHS/OSDE will attend required trainings and meetings.
- School districts will collect data on the effectiveness of the School-Based Services program.
- The OKDHS will monitor and evaluate the actions and effectiveness of the School-Based Services program to ensure short-term and long-term goals are met.
- School districts will provide a liaison for the School-Based Specialist that will work collaboratively with the OKDHS supervisor to support program efforts.
- The School-Based Specialist will have a background check performed by the OKDHS.
The OKDHS School-Based Services program is supported by the following partners:
- School administrators, staff and teachers
- OKDHS school-based staff
- Community partners
- Students and families
- University of Oklahoma Child Welfare Training and Simulation Center
- OKDHS administrators
- Oklahoma State Department of Education
- Local OKDHS office
The district provides a separate application for each School-Based Specialist position requested.
Please note selection priority will consider the school's or district's free and reduced lunch rates.