Skip to main content

Situation Update 14

Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management

Situation Update 14

May 31, 2019 – 5 p.m.


As a result of flooding and severe weather impacts across the state, the State Emergency Operations Center remains activated. The Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM) remains in contact with emergency managers across the state and coordinating with agencies and organizations including the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Oklahoma Corporation Commission, Oklahoma State Department of Health, Oklahoma National Guard, Oklahoma Office of Homeland Security, Oklahoma Department of Transportation, Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry, Oklahoma Insurance Department, Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality, Oklahoma State Department of Education, Oklahoma Office of Management and Enterprise Services - Oklahoma Public Safety Broadband Network, Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department State Parks Division, Oklahoma Housing Finance Agency, National Weather Service, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Civil Air Patrol, Oklahoma American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief, Oklahoma Medical Reserve Corps and the Oklahoma Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster.


A State of Emergency remains in effect for all 77 counties due to flooding, severe storms, tornadoes, and straight-line winds that began in April. Under the Executive Order, state agencies can make emergency purchases and acquisitions needed to expedite the delivery of resources to local jurisdictions. The declaration also marks a first step toward seeking federal assistance should it be necessary.


Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management continues to ask residents impacted by the recent storms to report damages to their property at or by calling 211. Reporting damage helps local and state emergency managers better coordinate response and recovery efforts. Residents can report damage to homes, businesses or agriculture through the online survey.


According to the Oklahoma State Department of Health, 118 injuries have been reported by area hospitals.

Oklahoma Office of the Chief Medical Examiner reports six fatalities attributed to flooding and severe weather.

  • Female, 53 years old, Payne County
  • Female, 5 years old, Mayes County
  • Female, 59 years old, Mayes County
  • Male, 77 years old, Kay County
  • Female, 47 years old, Canadian County
  • Male, 54 years old, Canadian County


The Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) reports that Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients whose households lost food as a result of the severe storms may request a replacement of benefits up to the monthly amount received for May 2019. To request a replacement of SNAP benefits, complete the Request for Destroyed Food Replacement form within 10 calendar days of the loss, and return the form to your local DHS county office.

Recipients who have lost their food benefit card may request a replacement card online at, or by contacting Conduent at 1-888-328-6551. Persons needing food assistance may apply for SNAP at via computer or mobile device. Those unable to complete the application online may also visit their local DHS county office.

People receiving state benefits, foster care reimbursements, adoption assistance or Child Support on the "Oklahoma Mastercard" debit card who have lost their card due to the storms may request a replacement card by calling 1-888-401-9843 for non-Child Support Mastercards, or 1-888-929-2460 for Child Support Mastercards. If their home has been completely destroyed and they have no way of receiving a replacement card in the mail, recipients may request the replacement card be sent to them at an alternate mailing address.

For more information, review the OKDHS news release at


AT&T and U.S. Cellular are providing disaster relief to customers in Oklahoma that have been affected by recent flooding and severe weather.

AT&T is providing customers in 85 specific zip codes unlimited talk, text and data access through June 5, 2019. Find out more through their news release at

U.S. Cellular is providing free phone chargers and portable battery packs, access to the internet, charging stations, and on-site staff to help residents get in touch with services, people and solutions at select stores across the state. Visit for more information.


The Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality is offering free bacteriological testing of private water wells that have been submerged in flood water for all 77 counties.

If your private well has been submerged in flood water, DEQ recommends that you not drink the water until you disinfect your well and sample analysis indicates that your well water is safe. For disinfection and sampling instructions and supplies, contact DEQ at (800) 522-0206. The free testing will be available until July 15, 2019.

Instructions on how to disinfect your well are available at


American Red Cross reports the following shelters are open:

  • Coweta High School, 14607 S. 305th E Ave, Coweta
  • Faith Church, 1901 W 171st, Glenpool
  • First Christian Church, 2424 N. Main, Miami
  • Roland High School, 300 Ranger Blvd, Roland
  • Crosstown Church of Christ, 3400 E. Admiral, Tulsa
  • First Baptist Church, 304 E. Hickory Ave, Fort Gibson
  • Grace Episcopal Church, 218 N. 6th, Muskogee

American Red Cross provided 60 personal care kits to soldiers working in flooded areas in northeast Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Housing Finance Agency has Emergency Housing Assistance available to Oklahoma families displaced by recent storms where their home has been left uninhabitable. OHFA provides grants of up to $1,500 for temporary hotel accommodations and/or security or utility deposits for more permanent housing. To apply for assistance, call (405) 419-8196 to leave a message on OHFA’s housing hotline for the disaster housing grant. Visit for updates and information on how you can meet with an OHFA representative for application assistance.

The Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs reports that veterans who have been impacted by the recent weather may be eligible for a Financial Grant. Visit their website at and click on the "get help" tab to find a service officer or location near you to assist. You can also call 918-781-7766 or 405-523-4000 to locate a service office or location near you.

From now until June 14, 2019, several relief agencies are staffing a free hotline for muck-out, debris removal, and home cleanup from the recent statewide storms and flooding. This hotline will connect survivors with reputable and vetted relief agencies that will assist in debris cleanup and mucking out, as they are able. All services are free, but service is not guaranteed due to the expected overwhelming need. The public may call 800-451-1954 to request help with storm and flooding related cleanup. Those requests will be shared with relief organizations at


U-Haul companies of Oklahoma City and Tulsa are making 18 facilities available to extend 30 days of free self-storage to Oklahomans impacted by continued flooding across the state. People seeking additional information should contact the nearest participating U-Haul store location. To find a list of participating locations, visit


An Emergency Small Animal Shelter has been set up at the Expo Square Pavilion and is currently housing 174 animals.The Oklahoma Medical Reserve Corps (MRC), Humane Society of Tulsa, and Tulsa Animal Welfare continue to support the animal shelter. MRC volunteers are currently being scheduled through May 30.


When disaster strikes, the best way to support survivors of emergencies or disasters in Oklahoma is with cash donations to reputable voluntary organizations. Cash donations allow relief organizations or survivors to purchase what they need, when and where they need it. Buying supplies locally helps the local community recover by helping local businesses pay salaries and by keeping tax revenues in the community.

Do not send additional items unless specifically requested by a local community or organization. Do not send unsolicited donations of used clothing, miscellaneous items or perishable foods, which must be sorted, warehoused, transported and distributed. This requires more efforts and staffing to manage those resources and takes away from recovery efforts.

Tulsa Community Foundation (TCF) and Tulsa Area United Way (TAUW) have established the Disaster Relief Fund for Eastern Oklahoma to provide assistance to nonprofit organizations which are providing services and support to residents of eastern Oklahoma affected by recent weather-related flooding and tornadic storms. Donations made to the fund will assist with mid- and long-term recovery needs. For more information, visit

Tulsa SPCA reports donations of tarps, bungees, sheet protectors, latex-free gloves, dry and wet puppy food, towels, and small dog collars for dogs up to 15 poundsare needed. Items may be taken to the Pavillon in Expo Square between 8am-5pm. Cash donations may be made on their Facebook page.

The Muskogee County OSU Cooperative Extension Service will be working to help collect hay donations for the counties of Muskogee and Wagoner. They will be taking calls for both hay donations and producers in need of hay, and can be contacted at 918-686-7200.

A flood relief fund has been set up through the Oklahoma Cattlemen’s Foundation for Oklahoma Cattlemen affected by the ongoing flooding across the state. One hundred percent of the donated funds will be distributed to the affected cattlemen. Donate at

Muskogee County and Muskogee City Emergency Management is asking that all donations be made at the following locations:

First Baptist Church

810 2nd Street

Warner, OK 74469

Taking donations from 8:00am to 3:00pm

This site is serving the victims affected in the southern part of Muskogee County.

Old Fort Gibson High School Gym

500 South Ross Road

Fort Gibson, OK 74434

Taking donations from 9:00am to 7:00pm

This site is serving the victims affected in the Muskogee, Fort Gibson, and Braggs area.

Grace Episcopal Church

281 North 6th Street

Muskogee, OK 74401

Taking donations 9:00am to 4:00pm

This site serves as a shelter and donation center for anyone affected by flooding.

Muskogee Masonic Lodge

121 South 6th Street

Muskogee, OK 74401

Taking donations from 9:00am to 5:00pm

This site is serving anyone affected and serves as clothing donation site only. Anyone affected can also go to the Masonic Lodge and pickup needed clothing.

Monetary donations can be made at Neighbors Building Neighborhoods located at 207 North 2nd Street in Muskogee, 918-683-4600. Neighbors Building Neighborhoods is the only donation site approved to take monetary donations on behalf of Muskogee County or the City of Muskogee. If you wish to mail a check, please make checks payable to “Neighbors Building Neighborhoods”, in the memo line please note “2019 Muskogee County Flooding”.

Any organizations or persons wishing to make large donations of supplies is asked to contact Muskogee County or Muskogee City Emergency Management via Facebook or by phone. Donating at these sites ensures that your donation goes directly to those affected by this historic flooding.


El Reno Emergency Management reports all residents have been placed in a hotel or apartment with one month rent and utilities taken care of. The distribution center for victims is located at the VFW, 1515 S. Rock Island Ave., El Reno. The site will close on Friday, May 31. Red Cross is providing cleanup kits and relief supplies and is also doing casework with families.

Muskogee County Emergency Management reports numerous county roads are closed in areas along and near the Arkansas River. Voluntary evacuations are ongoing in Braggs, and the Oklahoma National Guard performed air evacuations for the town last week. Swift water rescue teams from Sequoyah County and Cherokee National Marshals are assisting with water rescues. Webbers Falls remains under a mandatory evacuation order and parts of Ft. Gibson are under a voluntary evacuation order. Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Cherokee Nation, and local fire departments have teams in place for water rescues if needed. A road has been built between Muskogee and Braggs to allow emergency vehicles access to residents until waters recede. Supplies are being sent into Braggs via rail car.

Rogers County Emergency Management reports a voluntary evacuation for low lying areas along and near the Verdigris River in Rogers County. The Guymon swift water rescue taskforce is responding to water rescue missions as needed.

Sequoyah County Emergency Management reports flooding is extensive in Moffett, which is now completely evacuated. Water and power are out in Moffett, but operational across the rest of the county. Some roads are closed in low-lying areas.

Tulsa Area Emergency Management Agency is providing their latest updates at

Wagoner County Emergency Management reports a voluntary evacuation order remains in place for all low-lying areas near the Arkansas and Verdigris Rivers. Verdigris River levels are rising and flooding impacts are expected in communities including Oak Grove, Okay, and Wybark. Evacuees can shelter at Coweta High School. Calera Fire Swift Water Team is on site to assist as needed. Two Oklahoma National Guard personnel are at the county fairgrounds to lift sandbags into resident vehicles.


Residents across the state have encountered potential scam artists while trying to clean up their properties. The following tips can help residents avoid being re-victimized by contractors or others trying to take advantage of those impacted by an emergency or disaster.

  • Be cautious of anyone coming to your home or business uninvited and offering to do repairs.
  • If a volunteer offers to do work on your property, ask if there will be a cost for the work before the work starts. Reputable organizations will never ask for payment for volunteer services.
  • Be cautious in dealing with a contractor who asks for a large down payment.
  • Don't be pressured into making a quick decision. Try to get three separate bids on the job.
  • Ask for references and check them out.
  • Insist on obtaining a written estimate or contract.
  • Do not pay the final balance until the work is completed to your satisfaction.
  • Ask contractors if they have done this type of repair work before, if they will be purchasing necessary permits, and if the work will be inspected. Be sure the contract spells out who will pay for any necessary permits.
  • Always pay for repair work by check or credit card in order to keep a record and avoid double charges.
  • Be wary of contractors who claim to be state or FEMA certified when, in fact, neither the state nor FEMA certifies or endorses contractors.

If you suspect fraud, contact the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Unit at (405) 521-2029 or Download the Attorney General’s Disaster Scam Prevention Packet at

Contact the Oklahoma Insurance Department’s (OID) Anti-Fraud Unit by at (800) 522-0071 or or fill out a form online at


Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management has staff deployed to the affected areas, including Tulsa and Muskogee counties, and the Regional Coordination Center in Pittsburg County.

Liaisons from Oklahoma Department of Transportation, and Oklahoma Management and Enterprise Services will be supporting the Emergency Operations Center in Muskogee County.

State Department of Health staff continues to support the Muskogee and Wagoner County Emergency Operations Centers and Incident Management Teams.

The Oklahoma Medical Reserve Corps continues to support shelter operations in Tulsa, Muskogee, Cherokee, Wagoner and Le Flore Counties.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol Marine Enforcement Division is supporting the refueling of tugboats at the Port of Muskogee. Troopers continue to assist with road closings along the river systems in eastern Oklahoma.

The ABLE Commission provided agents to assist law enforcement in Osage County in preventing looting in Avant as Bird Creek begins to recede.


Oklahoma Department of Public Safety and Oklahoma Department of Transportation are warning the public against parking on highways and shoulders to take photos of flooding. This creates a dangerous situation for all drivers on the road in that area.

They continue to discourage travel in flood-impacted parts of the state.

The following highways are closed until further notice due to flooding:

**Note: WAGONER CO.: Northbound and southbound US-69 are OPEN north of Muskogee at the Arkansas River.

SEQUOYAH CO: East and westbound US-64 is closed between Roland, Okla., and Fort Smith, Ark. All traffic is detoured to I-40. ***

Alfalfa County

  • SH-38 is closed between SH-11 and Nescatunga near the Great Salt Plains Lake.
  • SH-8B is closed from SH-8 west to Aline.

Beckham County

  • The I-40 southern service road (old Route 66) is closed at MM19 near Sayre for extended repairs due to road damage.

Cherokee County

  • SH-80 is closed four miles west of Hulbert near Fort Gibson Lake.
  • SH-80 is closed near the Canyon Rd. access area just north of Fort Gibson.

Delaware County

  • SH-127 is closed just west of US-59 near Jay due to a damaged drainage structure. 

Johnston County

  • SH-48A is closed to through traffic between the SH-48 junction in Coleman and SH-7 in Milburn due to a damaged construction detour.

Kay County

  • US-77 is closed between SH-156 and southern Tonkawa.

Le Flore County

  • SH-9A is closed northeast of Spiro, west of Fort Smith, Ark. 

Logan County

  • SH-74F is closed between Cashion and SH-33 due to pavement damage.

Muskogee County

  • The southbound SH-165 off-ramp to eastbound US-62 is closed and all lanes north and southbound SH-165 are OPEN at US-62 in Muskogee.
  • SH-10 is closed at Big Greenleaf Creek 3.5 miles south of Braggs.
  • SH-10 is closed two miles east of the US-62 junction near Fort Gibson.
  • US-62 is closed between SH-80 near Fort Gibson and SH-165 in Muskogee.
  • SH-104 is closed at Coal Creek just east of Haskell.
  • US-62 is closed one mile south of SH-16 in Muskogee.

Nowata County

  • SH-10 is closed east of US-169 near Lenapah due to damage to a drain.
  • SH-28 is closed between US-60 and US-169 near Nowata.

Ottawa County

  • SH-10 is closed between SH-69A and US-69.
  • SH-125 is closed one mile south of SH-10 in Miami.
  • US-59/SH-10 is closed one mile west of US-69 near Miami. 

Rogers County

  • US-169 is closed eight miles north of SH-88 near Talala.
  • SH-88 is closed seven miles east of US-169 near Oologah.

Sequoyah County

  • US-64 is closed between Roland, Okla., and Fort Smith, Ark. All traffic is detoured to I-40.
  • SH-64D is closed from I-40 east of Roland to US-64 west of Fort Smith, Ark.
  • US-64/SH-100 is closed from the US-64/SH-100 junction near Webbers Falls to east of the Ray Fine bridge near Gore.

Wagoner County

  • Southbound US-69 is OPEN north of Muskogee at the Arkansas River.
  • SH-16 is closed near the Muskogee Turnpike just north of Muskogee.
  • SH-16 is closed northwest of Okay.
  • SH-72 is closed from East 201st South to just north of the Arkansas River bridge near Coweta.

For official information about highway closures due to flooding, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation posts updates in the Traffic Advisory section of An interactive map showing highway conditions and closures can be found at


Oklahoma Natural Gas reports the following meter outages:

Bixby: 332

Sand Springs: 407

Skiatook: 25

Turley: 27

Candlestick (Sand Springs area): 16

Fort Gibson/Muskogee: 110

Keetonville Rd/Hwy 20 in Muskogee area: 2

Indian Springs neighborhood (BA): 72

Garden City neighborhood (SW Tulsa): 28

Green Valley Mobile Home Park (Jenks): 18

Owasso: 8

SW Tulsa (Cherry Hill trailer park): 55

Wakiwa/Wellston Rd (between Sand Springs and Candlestick neighborhoods): 17

S 53 W Ave/W 12th (north of the river in Tulsa): 75

81st/Charles Page: 53

Hwy 20 Verdigris River: 1

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission reports 205 outages statewide.

OG&E - Total: 168

Fort Gibson: 103

Gore: 65

COOPERATIVES (by county) 

Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative - TOTAL: 37

Mayes: 35

Ottawa: 2


The state’s price gouging statute is in effect for all 77 Oklahoma counties. The Emergency Price Stabilization Act prohibits an increase of more than 10% for the price of goods and services after a declared emergency. The statute triggers automatically after the governor issues a state of emergency. The law allows the attorney general to pursue charges against individuals or businesses that engage in price gouging.

For more information or to report a complaint, individuals can contact the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Unit by phone at (405) 521-2029, or email at

DIAL 211

For Oklahoma residents seeking non-emergency disaster or health and human service information, please contact your local 2-1-1. Services are available 24 hours a day by dialing 2-1-1 from your home or cellular telephone. Please only call 911 for emergencies.


Back to Top