Football fans should plan ahead for traffic and avoid delay of game; Holiday travel info
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 2, 2015
On Saturday, tens of thousands of college football fans will flock to the University of Oklahoma in Norman to cheer on the Sooners in their season opener, however fans should plan ahead to avoid traffic delays. This may be the first time many Sooner fans have driven through the massive project by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to reconstruct the I-35 interchanges at SH-9 East and Lindsey St. and widen I-35 to six lanes. Though no closures are planned for game day, drivers should be aware of changes to their route.
Impacted Areas in Norman
- I-35 on and off-ramps at Lindsey St. and SH-9 East are open to traffic.
- The speed limit on I-35 is reduced to 55 mph and lanes are shifted between Main St. and the South Canadian River.
- 24th Ave. S.W. is closed to through traffic at SH-9 East and left turns are not permitted at the intersection of 24th Ave. and SH-9 East. Local traffic needing to access 24th Ave. S.W. south of SH-9E from Lindsey St. or westbound SH-9E should use McGee Dr. to Riverside Dr.
Suggested Alternate Routes
- Drivers should consider using alternate routes like US-77 and US-77H/Sooner Rd. south of I-240.
- The speed limit is reduced on US-77 in Slaughterville, south of Norman, for an ongoing reconstruction and widening project.
- For up-to-the-minute information, the public can view current interstate and metro area traffic conditions and camera views at www.oktraffic.organd follow @OKDOT on Twitter.
The City of Norman is doing construction work on Lindsey St. east of I-35. For more information, visit the city’s website www.normanok.gov. While heavy traffic and delays can be expected on game day, football fans can take steps to avoid major problems. Drivers should plan their routes and parking ahead of time and leave early on game day to allow plenty of extra travel time. Also, drivers should put aside all distractions and not text and drive.
Work began on the I-35/SH-9 East/Lindsey St. project in March 2015 and is expected to be completed in early 2017. At $71 million with additional possible financial incentives for early completion, it is the single largest construction contract awarded in ODOT history.
University of Tulsa football traffic should plan extra travel time on Saturday as I-244 remains narrowed to two lanes in each direction from near the US-75 junction at the northeast corner of the Inner Dispersal Loop to near Memorial Dr. for ongoing pavement reconstruction. The westbound I-244 ramps at Yale Ave., the off-ramp to Delaware Ave. and the on-ramp from Utica Ave. are closed. North and southbound Peoria Ave. and Delaware Ave. are narrowed to one lane in each direction under I-244.
Oklahoma State University Cowboy fans should have a clear drive in Stillwater, as work is expected to complete at the intersection of SH-51 and Country Club Rd. before the first home game on Sept. 12. Drivers should be aware that I-35 will be narrowed to one lane in each direction south of SH-11 near Blackwell in Kay County beginning next week. For information on local streets, drivers should check with the City of Stillwater at www.stillwater.org.
To accommodate increased travel, ODOT works with contractors to avoid closures on holidays if possible. However, closures are unavoidable on some long-term projects. View the list below to see highway lane and ramp closures affecting Labor Day weekend travel.
Labor Day/Game Day Traffic Advisory
The following construction projects will impact holiday travel on major highways from Friday,
Sept. 4 through Monday, Sept. 7. For turnpike information contact the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority at 405-425-3600 or pikepass.com.
24th Ave. S.W. closed, turning restricted at SH-9 East in Norman
North and southbound 24th Ave. S.W. in Norman is closed to through traffic at SH-9 East. All left turn movements are blocked by a temporary median barrier at the intersection. Drivers should avoid the area if possible.
I-35 lanes shifted, speed reduced in Norman
Drivers can expect lane shifts and reduced speed limits on I-35 between Main St. and the South Canadian River for ongoing interchange reconstruction at SH-9 East and Lindsey St. Drivers should expect delays on I-35, especially during peak travel periods, and plan extra time or consider an alternate route such as SH-77H (Sooner Road).
I-40 ramp, lane closed at Air Depot Blvd.; S.E. 29th St. narrowed in Midwest City
· The eastbound I-40 on-ramp from Air Depot Blvd. is closed and the right lane of eastbound I-40 is closed between Air Depot Blvd. and Town Center Dr.is closed for ongoing intersection work.
· The right lanes of east and westbound S.E. 29th St. are closed at Air Depot Blvd.
SH-74 (Portland Ave.) narrowed north of Memorial Rd., N.W. 164th St. narrowed
North and southbound SH-74 (Portland Ave.) lanes are shifted just north of Memorial Rd. N.W. 164th St. is narrowed to one lane in each direction at SH-74 (Portland Ave.) The speed limit on SH-74 is reduced to 35 mph between Memorial Rd. and north of N.W. 164th St.
US-77 (Broadway) narrowed at 33rd St. in Edmond
The right lane of southbound US-77/Broadway is closed from Broadway Court to just south of 33rd St. for widening and resurfacing of the intersection. Additionally, the right lane of westbound 33rd St. is closed at the intersection.
Shields Blvd./E.K. Gaylord Blvd. and Compress Ave. closed, detoured near I-40 Crosstown
· Shields Blvd./E.K. Gaylord Blvd. is closed to through traffic between Reno Ave. and S.W. 4th St. and traffic is detoured for Oklahoma City Boulevard work.
· Compress Ave. is closed east of Gaylord Blvd. and South of Oklahoma Ave.
· Drivers can still access to I-40 from Shields Blvd./E.K. Gaylord Blvd., or by using Western Ave. or I-235.
I-244 lane, ramp closures east of Inner Dispersal Loop
· I-244 is narrowed to two lanes in each direction from near the US-75 junction (northeast corner of the Inner Dispersal Loop) to near Memorial Dr.
· Traffic entering eastbound I-244 from the northbound US-75/2nd St. on-ramp will stop and yield to I-244 traffic. Use caution as traffic adjusts.
· The westbound I-244 ramps at Yale Ave., the off-ramp to Delaware Ave. and the on ramp at Utica Ave. are closed.
· North and southbound Peoria Ave. and Delaware Ave. are narrowed to one lane in each direction under I-244.
US-169 ramp closed at 56th St. North
· The northbound US-169 on-ramp from 56th St. North and the left lane of east and westbound 56th St. North at the US-169 junction are closed for a widening project.
· Drivers should be alert to reduced speeds and narrowed lanes on north and southbound US-169 between 56th St. North and 66th St. North.
US-69 narrowed near Stringtown, Atoka Co.
US-69 is narrowed to one lane in each direction one mile north of SH-43 near Stringtown for pavement reconstruction.
I-40 narrowed, SH-152 closed in Sayre, Beckham Co.
I-40 is narrowed to one lane in each direction at SH-152 in Sayre and SH-152 is closed to through traffic at I-40 for a bridge rehabilitation project. Traffic is detoured on I-40 and US-283.
US-70 narrowed in Durant, Bryan Co.
US-70 is narrowed to one lane with flaggers directing traffic just east of Durant for a resurfacing project.
I-40 narrowed east of Hinton, Canadian Co.
I-40 is narrowed to one lane in each direction between US-281 and US-281 Spur, east of Hinton, for bridge reconstruction at the South Canadian River.
I-40 narrowed near Clinton, Custer Co.
I-40 is narrowed to one lane in each direction from I-40B east of Clinton to near Weatherford for resurfacing and bridge rehabilitation.
US-377/SH-99 closed south of Tishomingo, Johnston Co.
US-377/SH-99 is closed to through traffic just south of Tishomingo due to bridge damage at the Washita River. Traffic is detoured on SH-22 and SH-1 through Ravia and US-177 to Madill.
SH-33 closed in Kingfisher, Kingfisher Co.
SH-33 is closed to through traffic just east of US-81 over for a bridge replacement project at Uncle John’s Creek. Traffic is detoured on US-81, SH-51 and SH-74.
US-270 narrowed near Wilburton, Latimer Co.
US-270 is narrowed to one lane with temporary signals directing traffic five miles east of the Pittsburg Co. line and again four miles east of the SH-2 junction near Wilburton for bridge work.
US-412 narrowed near US-281, Major Co.
US-412 is narrowed to one lane in each direction two miles east of the Woodward Co. line and just east of the US-281 junction for bridge and resurfacing projects.
US-69 narrowed north of Eufaula, McIntosh Co.
Drivers can expect various lane closures on US-69 between SH-9 in Eufaula and the Muskogee Co. line for pavement rehabilitation and cable barrier installation projects.
US-69 narrowed near Muskogee, Muskogee Co.
US-69 is narrowed to one lane in each direction three miles north of US-62 at the Arkansas River for bridge rehabilitation.
SH-10C closed, detoured near Wyandotte, Ottawa Co.
SH-10C is closed to through traffic northeast of Wyandotte between SH-10 and the Missouri 43 junction for a bridge replacement project at Lost Creek. Traffic is detoured on SH-10, US-60 and Missouri 43.
SH-19 narrowed in Ada, Pontotoc Co.
SH-19 is narrowed to one lane in each direction just west of the SH-19/SH-3 interchange in Ada for bridge rehabilitation.
I-40 narrowed near Vian, Sequoyah Co.
Drivers can expect various lane closures on east and westbound I-40 between one mile east of SH-82 (Vian exit) and Dwight Mission Rd. for pavement rehabilitation.