Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
- Set up and operate machine tools to produce precision parts and
- Fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools.
- Maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Education and Experience
Long-term on-the-job training, which lasts 1 year or longer.
High school courses in math, blueprint reading, metalworking, and drafting helpful.
Certification programs like Skills Certification System and journey-level certification are available from state apprenticeship boards after the completion of an apprenticeship.
Schools in Oklahoma
- Francis Tuttle Technology Center - Oklahoma City
- Indian Capital Technology Center - Muskogee
- Canadian Valley Technology Center - El Reno
- Moore Norman Technology Center - Norman
- Green Country Technology Center -Okmulgee
- Northeast Technology Center - Claremore
- Mid-America Technology Center - Wayne
- Pioneer Technology Center - Ponca City
(This list of schools in Oklahoma is not exhaustive.)