Skip to main content


Am I as a separating service member eligible to file for unemployment?

According to the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission. Anyone who is unemployed may file a claim for unemployment. A separating service member may be required to provide additional documents.

  • Typically, you must meet the following criteria to be eligible.
  • You are unemployed through no fault of your own
  • You are able and available to seek and accept work
  • You earned a minimum of $1,500 from a covered employer during your base period.
  • You meet the "1 and 1/2 rule". More information on this rule can be found in section § 2-207 of the OES Act (Oklahoma Statutes Title 40)
  • Since Unemployment Insurance (UI) is insurance paid by Oklahoma employers, it is not available for self-employed, contract, or gig workers.
  • If you quit or were fired, an issue (hold) will be placed on your claim until a determination of eligibility is made by OESC.  An individual shall be disqualified for benefits for leaving their last work voluntarily without good cause (reference Oklahoma Employment Security Act section 2-405 for more information). There are also certain provisions for leaving work due to compelling family circumstances (reference Oklahoma Employment Security Act section 2-210 for more information).  If you were discharged or fired for misconduct, reference Oklahoma Employment Security Act section 2-406. 

File for unemployment.

Looking for a career and not a job? The following resources can assist you in your career search.

Last Modified on Mar 06, 2023