340:50-7-1. Resources considered
(a) Resources. Resources are excluded in determining eligibility for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) for categorically eligible households, per Section 273.2(j)(2) of Title 7 of the Code of Federal Regulations (7 § C.F.R. 273.2(j)(2)) and Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 340:50-11-111 through 340:50-11-115. Resources must be considered in determining SNAP eligibility for households that:
(1) contain one or more sponsored aliens whose sponsor's resources must be deemed to the sponsored alien, per OAC 340:50-5-49; or
(2) cannot be classified as a categorically eligible household, per OAC 340:50-7-6 and 340:50-11-111(d). This includes households whose SNAP benefit closed due to substantial lottery or gambling winnings, per (b) of this Section, the first time they reapply.
(b) Substantial lottery or gambling winners. Per 7 § C.F.R.273.11(r), substantial lottery or gambling winnings are defined as a cash prize won in a single game, before taxes or other amounts are withheld, that is equal to, or greater than, the SNAP disqualification resource standard for lottery or gambling winners, per Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) Appendix C-3, Maximum Food Benefit Allotments and Standards for Income and Deductions. • 1
(1) When multiple persons shared in the purchase of a ticket, hand, or similar bet, only the portion of the winnings allocated to the SNAP household member is counted in determining resource eligibility.
(2) A household that participates in SNAP in the month it receives substantial lottery or gambling winnings must provide verification of the winnings from the appropriate lottery commission or gaming facility, when available, within 10-calendar days of being given or sent Form 08AD092E, Client Contact and Information Request. When the household fails to provide proof of the amount of the winnings and date received, the worker closes the SNAP food benefit for the next advance notice effective date, per OKDHS Appendix B-2, Deadlines for Case Actions. • 2
(3) When the household's winnings exceed the SNAP disqualification resource standard for lottery or gambling winners, the household is disqualified and the worker closes the SNAP food benefit for the next advance notice effective date, per OKDHS Appendix B-2. Refer to OAC 340:50-9-5(j) for more information on required actions.
(4) To regain resource eligibility, the household must reapply, meet non-categorical resource requirements, per 7 C.F.R. § 273.8 and OAC 340:50-7-6, and verify the winnings are spent down below the appropriate resource standard, per Appendix C-3. • 3 Once the household meets non-categorical resource requirements and is certified, it regains categorical eligibility for future applications and renewals unless (a)(1) or (2) of this Section applies. • 4
(c) Sponsored aliens. A household containing a sponsored alien must verify the value of liquid and non-liquid resources for their household and the alien's sponsor and sponsor's spouse, per OAC 340:50-5-49 and OAC 340:50-7-6. After subtracting $1,500 from countable resources, the household's countable resources must not exceed the appropriate resource standard for sponsored aliens, per Appendix C-3.
(d) Expedited services. When the household applies for food benefits, it must declare the value of liquid resources available to the household. The worker accepts the household's statement regarding the value of liquid resources to determine expedited services eligibility, per OAC 340:50-11-1. Liquid resources include:
(1) cash on hand;
(2) checking or savings account balances;
(3) the cash value of savings certificates; and
(4) the cash value of stocks or bonds.
INSTRUCTIONS TO STAFF 340:50-7-1
1. All households with lottery or gambling winnings are subject to the elderly or disabled member resource standard regardless if the household contains an elderly or disabled member.
2. Households that receive substantial lottery or gambling winnings prior to the month they initially apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) food benefits are not subject to this requirement.
3. When a household member wins $3,500 or more in lottery or gambling winnings per (b) of this Section, the worker closes the household's SNAP food benefits. To regain SNAP eligibility following closure due to substantial lottery or gambling winnings, the household must reapply, verify how the winnings were spent down, and meet non-categorical resource requirements, per Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 340:50-7-6 and Appendix C-3, Maximum Food Benefit Allotments and Standards for Income and Deductions, before it can be certified and regain categorical eligibility. Per Appendix C-3, households that:
(1) do not contain an elderly or disabled person, cannot exceed $2,250 in liquid and non-liquid resources; and
(2) contain an elderly or disabled household member, cannot exceed $3,500 in liquid and non-liquid resources.
4. When the household is denied because it is still over resources or for any other reason, it must meet resource requirements at the next application and be certified before it can regain categorical eligibility.