Adopt-A-Highway Adoption Agreement Terms & Conditions
hereinafter called the "GROUP" recognize the need and the desirability of litter-free highways and are entering this Agreement to permit the Group to contribute toward the effort of maintaining litter-free highways.
By signature below the Group acknowledges the hazardous nature of the work and agrees to the following terms and conditions:
- Participants in the Group agree to obey and abide by all laws and regulations relating to safety and such terms and conditions as may be required by the division engineer for such special conditions on a particular adopted section.
- When participants are fifteen (15) to seventeen (17) years of age the Group shall furnish adequate adult supervision.
- Each Group shall conduct at least two (2) safety meetings per year. Participants must sign a hold harmless agreement and attend a safety meeting conducted by the Group before participating in a cleanup. Neither the State of Oklahoma nor the Department shall be liable for any kind of injury to an Adopt-A-Highway Participant. The Group shall be solely responsible for the safety of its participants during a cleanup.
- Groups shall pick up on one side of the road at a time.
- Groups shall park all vehicles well clear of roadway and at least ten (10) feet from shoulder surface.
- Group shall adopt a section of roadway that is at least two (2) miles long.
- Groups shall be required to adopt for a two (2) year period.
- The Group shall pick up litter a minimum of four (4) times a year with one (1) of these pick ups occurring during the Department's April "Trash Off" event.
- The Group shall obtain required supplies and materials from the Department during regular business hours.
- Traffic control signs supplied by the Department will be placed by the Group during trash pickup and removed afterward.
- Individuals shall wear Department-supplied and approved ANSI certified safety vests while on the right-of-way.
- The Group shall place filled trash bags at the adopted site for pickup and disposal by the Department as soon as possible thereafter.
- Unused materials and supplies furnished by the Department shall (1) be returned to the Department within two (2) workdays following the cleanup or, (2) with the Division Engineer's permission be retained by Group during agreement period.
The Department agrees to accomplish the following:
- Provide safety vests, trash bags, and traffic control signs. Provide initial safety training for Group including safety literature and audiovisuals.
- Remove the filled trash bags on a workday as soon as possible after the pickup.
- Remove litter from the adopted section only under unusual circumstances i.e. to remove large heavy or hazardous items.
If in the sole judgment of the Department it is found that the adopting Group is not meeting the terms and conditions of this agreement upon thirty (30) days notice the Department may terminate the adoption agreement. The Department reserves the right to modify or cancel the program at any time.
Section to be completed at Adopt-A-Highway meeting
The Department recognizes the Group as the adopting organization for the section of highway from: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
and the Group accepts the responsibility of picking up litter four (4) times a year on this section of highway and promoting a litter-free environment in the community for a period beginning ____________________, 20__________, and ending ____________________, 20__________, (minimum of two (2) years).
Field Division Engineer, Oklahoma Department of Transportation
Authorized Signature for the Adopt-A-Highway Group