Skip to main content


The Overpayment Section is responsible for the establishment and collection of claims for Daycare, Temporary assistant to needy families, Food Stamps, Health and Medical and Energy assistance.


Phone:   (405) 522-0933
Fax:        (405) 522-0952

Frequently Asked Questions

Many different ways, either through client error when the client fails to report information affecting their eligibility or through Agency error, such as untimely action on information, incorrect policy application, or computer/mechanical errors.

You may contact us in the following ways:

  • By e-mail at;
  • By phone at (405) 522-0933 or toll free at 1-800-427-8541; or
  • Or you can write a letter to the Overpayment Unit to: PO Box 25352, Oklahoma City, OK 73125 

Payments are to be mailed to the Department of Human Services, P.O.  Box 248893, Oklahoma City, OK 73124-9914. Payment may be made either by check or money order -- never cash. To ensure proper credit  always include your identifying information. This should include your account number and or your case number.

  • By e-mail, at;
  • By phone at (405) 522-0933 or toll free 1-800-427-8541; 
  • You can write a letter to the Overpayment Unit at PO Box 25352, Oklahoma City, OK 73125; or
  • Or return the repayment agreement in the postage paid envelope included with the notification letter.

Yes, unless your overpayment was determined to be a fraudulent act which would result in a disqualification for a certain time period. However, other members of your household may be eligible for benefits during your disqualification.

Recoupment is when the Department reduces your monthly benefits by a set amount and then applies that reduction amount as a monthly payment towards the balance owed on an overpayment. You must have an active case in order to participate in recoupment.

It is Oklahoma and Federal regulation, that regardless of who caused the error, if your received a benefit to which you were not entitled, and spent that benefit, it must be repaid.

The Treasury Offset Program (TOP), is  a final method in collecting delinquent food stamp debts. Examples of federal payments which can be intercepted to pay a delinquent debt include federal income tax refunds, social security benefits and federal pensions and salaries.

The best way to avoid referral to the Treasury Offset Program is to make a written repayment agreement and making these payments  each and every month by the agreed due date.  

At the time you are notified of your overpayment, the notice will give you information on what to do if you do not agree with the decision on  your notice. The notice will tell you how much time you have to contact the local OKDHS office to request a hearing on the decision. 

Back to Top