Skip to main content

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

LIHEAP is a federally-funded program that provides financial assistance to approximately 182,000 Oklahoma low-income households each year to help them meet the cost of home energy.

Federally-funded programs are dependent upon the availability of federal funds.

The LIHEAP includes 3 different components:

  • Winter Heating
  • Summer Cooling
  • Energy Crisis Assistance Program (ECAP) which includes life threatening medical condition

Please be advised that the Summer Cooling/Winter Heating is not an emergency assistance program. Depending on receipt of federal funding the General Open Enrollment period usually begins the following months:

Winter Heating –December

ECAP – March (Life Threatening Medical Condition is accepted year round.)

Summer Cooling - June

You can apply for and possibly be eligible for all 3 programs. You are encouraged to apply online at during our open enrollment period.  You may be asked to provide some verification documents to determine eligibility for utility assistance. (View OKDHSLive instructions.)

The ECAP payment, if eligible, will only be authorized for the minimum amount required to prevent interruption/restore/establish service or initiate fuel delivery.

ECAP Eligibility requirements:

  • Must be within the 72 hours cut-off window at the time of application and have an active cut-off order with the utility provider; or
  • A written notice from the utility provider for new service establishment or service restoration with minimum amount required for security deposit, carryover old debt, and other fees; or
  • A written notice from the utility provider refusing to deliver additional fuel without a minimum payment amount.
  • Verification from the utility provider that the household entered into a payment plan to prevent service cut-off and the minimum amount required to resolve to crisis for one month.

If you or one of your household members has a life threatening medical condition, that requires heating or cooling energy sources for life dependency, you may eligible for life-threatening medical crisis assistance under ECAP. Please contact your utility provider and file for a medical claim. Most utility providers will give you a 30 day extension so you can obtain written verification from your licensed health care professional. Once you have your licensed health care professional signed statement, please fax it to (405)325-7155 or upload it to your case record online at and click on Fast Pass Verification Upload button so it can be indexed to your case record.

Each life-threatening medical crisis is evaluated on an individual basis in accordance with LIHEAP regulation and available funding. You will be asked to provide some verification documents including a note from a licensed health care professional. 

For more information about the life threatening medical crisis energy assistance program contact your local OKDHS county office or case worker.

Eligibility requirements for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) are based on income, household size, available resources and responsibility for payment of the home energy cost. Only one payment per household is allowed per program component. “Household” is defined as individuals living “under the same roof” with one utility meter. Everyone who uses the same meter or utility must apply together. If you or anyone resides in your home are a Native American, you may apply for energy assistance through OKDHS or with your tribe, but you cannot receive assistance from both during the same Federal Fiscal Year.

To qualify for LIHEAP assistance, you must meet each of the following requirements:

  • Be responsible for payment of home energy (households are not eligible for LIHEAP if the utility bill is paid directly to the provider by someone who does not reside at the residence) 
  • Be a United States citizen or legally admitted for permanent residence.
  • Meet countable resource standard including cash, checking or savings accounts, certificates of deposits, cryptocurrency, stocks, or bonds.
  • Meet specific income guidelines that vary according to household size.

During open enrollment you can apply online at  If you do not have computer access, call (405) 522-5050 for assistance.

Learn of other resources that may be of assistance.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is operated with funds from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE, and the U.S. Department Health and Human Services Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). WAP is designed to help low income household control their energy cost through installation of weatherization materials and education. The Oklahoma Department of Human Services contracts with the Oklahoma Department of Commerce to provide weatherization services for eligible families.  
Department of Commerce Weatherization Contact: 
Amanda Marcott-Thottunkal                                             
Senior Energy Programs Manager – Weatherization 
Division of Community Development, Oklahoma Department of Commerce                         
Phone: 1-800-879-6552                                     

Broadcast Message

Oklahoma Human Services will stop accepting Energy Crisis Assistance Program (ECAP) and Low Income Home Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) water bill pay applications at midnight Friday, May 12, 2023.

If you have applied online at prior to that date, you can continue turning in verification: • at any Oklahoma Human Services office, • fax it to (405) 325-7155, include the case number and name, • online at and click on Fast Pass Verification Upload button so it can be indexed to the case record.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program accepts public comment. Public comment can be submitted at or via postal mail at PO BOX 25352, Oklahoma City, OK 73125.

Back to Top