The LIHEAP includes 3 different components:
- Winter Heating
- Summer Cooling
- Energy Crisis Assistance Program (ECAP) which includes life threatening medical condition.
Please be advised that the Summer Cooling/Winter Heating is not an emergency assistance program. Depending on receipt of federal funding the General Open Enrollment period usually begins the following months:
Winter Heating –December
ECAP – March (Life Threatening Medical Condition is accepted year round.)
Summer Cooling - June
You can apply for and possibly be eligible for all 3 programs. You are encouraged to apply online at www.okdhslive.org during our open enrollment period. You may be asked to provide some verification documents to determine eligibility for utility assistance. (View OKDHSLive instructions.)
The ECAP payment, if eligible, will only be authorized for the minimum amount required to prevent interruption/restore/establish service or initiate fuel delivery.
ECAP Eligibility requirements:
- Must be within the 72 hours cut-off window at the time of application and have an active cut-off order with the utility provider; or
- A written notice from the utility provider for new service establishment or service restoration with minimum amount required for security deposit, carryover old debt, and other fees; or
- A written notice from the utility provider refusing to deliver additional fuel without a minimum payment amount.
- Verification from the utility provider that the household entered into a payment plan to prevent service cut-off and the minimum amount required to resolve to crisis for one month.
If you or one of your household members has a life threatening medical condition, that requires heating or cooling energy sources for life dependency, you may eligible for life-threatening medical crisis assistance under ECAP. Please contact your utility provider and file for a medical claim. Most utility providers will give you a 30 day extension so you can obtain written verification from your licensed health care professional. Once you have your licensed health care professional signed statement, please fax it to (405)325-7155 or upload it to your case record online at OKDHSLIVE.org and click on Fast Pass Verification Upload button so it can be indexed to your case record.
Each life-threatening medical crisis is evaluated on an individual basis in accordance with LIHEAP regulation and available funding. You will be asked to provide some verification documents including a note from a licensed health care professional.
For more information about the life threatening medical crisis energy assistance program contact your local OKDHS county office or case worker.