Skip to main content

Foster Care

Types of Foster Care

  • Community-Based Residential Services with this description: Community-Based Residential Services provide program support management for the care and treatment of youth in Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) custody who are determined deprived and whose treatment needs can no longer be met in their own home, a relative's home or in traditional foster family care.

    The treatment needs for DHS custody children may be met either in a group home, specialized community home or in acute or Residential Treatment Care (RTC) facility. These programs are either operated by OKDHS or by an agency or individuals under formal contract with OKDHS and licensed by the Oklahoma Child Care Services as a child placing agency or residential child care facility. 

In order to meet the complex treatment needs of these youth, Child Welfare Services maintains a continuum of community based residential care placement resources which vary in the level and intensity of treatment services provided.

  • Family Foster Care provides 24-hour-a-day substitute temporary care and supportive services in a home environment for children in OKDHS custody, from birth to 18 years of age. To obtain additional information about becoming a regular or kinship foster parent, please contact the foster care and adoptive parent recruitment line at 866-612-2565 or contact your local Human Services Center.
  • Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) is a law enacted by all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands which ensures protection and services to foster children placed into and out of Oklahoma. These placements are made only in the event that an appropriate placement cannot be found in the home state and there exists an appropriate out-of-state placement with which the child has an existing connection, be it family member or other individual with close kinship ties. The decision about whether or not to place a foster child across state lines is made by the child’s caseworker. To be considered as a possible ICPC foster care placement for a custody child, you must contact the child’s caseworker. If you do not know the name of the child’s caseworker, additional assistance may be available through the State ICPC Offices 
  • Therapeutic Foster Care (TFC) is a Residential Behavioral Management service provided in foster home settings. TFC is designed to serve children ages 3-18 who have special psychological, social, behavioral, and emotional needs. Children in TFC can accept and respond to close relationships within a family setting yet have special needs which require more intensive or therapeutic services than are found in traditional foster care. To find out the requirements for becoming an OKDHS TFC foster parent, or to obtain information about private TFC placement, contact any of the OKDHS Therapeutic Foster Care recruiting agencies.
  • Tribal Foster Care provides services to Indian children and families in compliance with federal and state regulations. OKDHS seeks to ensure compliance with the federal and state Indian Child Welfare Acts in all program areas. Oklahoma tribes are responsible for certifying tribal foster homes. To find out the requirements for becoming a tribal foster parent, please contact the child welfare staff of your tribe.
Back to Top