340:75-1-26.2. Death certificates
When the parent of a child in Oklahoma Department of Human Services custody is alleged to be deceased, a certified copy of the parent's death certificate is requested. • 1
INSTRUCTIONS TO STAFF 340:75-1-26.2
1. (a) Time requirement for requesting death certificate.When a parent of a child in Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) custody is deceased, the child welfare (CW) specialist requests a certified copy of the parent's death certificate within 15 business days of knowledge of the parent's death.
(b) In-state death certificates.To request a full-certified copy of a death certificate from Oklahoma State Department of Health Division of Vital Records, the CW specialist:
(1) utilizes the Division of Vital Records Death Certificate Application, located on OKDHS InfoNet under Non-OKDHS Forms;
(2) types or legibly prints the required information pertaining to the deceased parent on the Death Certificate Application, including the parent's:
(A) full name; and
(B) date and place of death;
(3) enters the CWspecialist's name and district address as the applicant information on the Death Certificate Application to ensure the death certificate is delivered to the CW specialist and signs the application;
(4) mails the original Death Certificate Application and a copy of the OKDHS employee identification (ID) of the person signing the application to Resource Section.Resource Section sends the Death Certificate Application to Vital Records for processing; and
(5) upon receipt of the Death Certificate, the CW specialist provides a copy of the certificate to the court and district attorney and files the certified copy in the paper case record.
(A) Vital Records sends the certified copy of the death certificate to the Resource Section and the Resource Section mails the death certificate to the local OKDHS office.
(B) When Vital Records returns the Death Certificate Application noting the certified death certificate cannot be found with the information provided, the Resource Section returns the Death Certificate Application to the requesting CW specialist who:
(i) checks the information for accuracy, and when needed,completes the optional information on the form before resubmitting the Death Certificate Application to Resource Section; and
(ii) when unable to locate further information and obtain a certified death certificate, contacts Resource Section for assistance.
(C) The Resource Section copy of the Death Certificate Application is destroyed upon receipt of the Vital Records full-certified copy of the death certificate.