I-235/I-44 Off Broadway second flyover ramp now open to traffic
Motorists driving the I-235/I-44 interchange can expect a significant ramp change before Friday morning's commute as the new eastbound I-44 to northbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext. flyover ramp is now open to traffic. With this opening, the I-235/I-44 Off Broadway interchange becomes the first four-level interchange on the state highway system in Oklahoma.
Changes for motorists include:
- Accessing this new ramp from the same eastbound I-44 exit that also leads to southbound I-235/US-77. Near the top of the ramp, motorists now have the option to exit left onto the new flyover ramp to access northbound US-77/Broadway Ext.
- At the north end of the new flyover ramp, only the left lane exit will be open at this time to access northbound US-77/Broadway Ext. The right ramp lane will have a direct connection to the N. 63rd St. exit in the future.
- Use caution when merging onto northbound US-77 from the new ramp alignment as the merge lanes remain shifted and in a temporary configuration until the end of the project in fall 2021.
- Additionally, the westbound I-44 off-ramp to northbound US-77/Broadway Ext. will be temporarily shifted to the east for ongoing construction work. Northbound traffic from the flyover ramp and from the westbound I-44 off-ramp will merge into one lane with access to either northbound US-77 or to the N. 63rd St. off-ramp. This is a temporary configuration as work continues on the new ramp exit to N. 63rd St.
- The existing loop ramp from eastbound I-44 to northbound I-235/US-77 is now closed and will be removed from service. (Shown on the map below in red.)
The $105 million project to widen I-235 up to eight lanes and reconstruct the I-235/I-44 interchange began in spring 2019 and is expected to complete in fall 2021. Up next, motorists can expect a traffic shift on I-44 between Kelley Ave. (mm 128B) and Western Ave. (mm 126) in spring 2021.
Motorists should continue to use extra vigilance throughout the I-234/I-44 Off Broadway work zone until project completion or use their Off Broadway alternate routes such as I-35, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway, I-40, N. Lincoln Blvd. and Martin Luther King Ave.