Skip to main content

City of Enid, Oklahoma Department of Transportation partner for new Metropolitan Planning Organization

Thursday, December 28, 2023

The City of Enid and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation are partnering to designate a new Metropolitan Planning Organization called the Chisholm Trail MPO. The Chisholm Trail MPO will serve as a policy board to provide input into the planning and implementation of federal transportation funds to the metropolitan area through a continuing, cooperative and comprehensive regional planning process. 

The board will be responsible for six key topics:

  • Establish and manage a fair and impartial setting for effective regional decision making in the Chisholm Trail metropolitan area
  • Identify and evaluate transportation improvement options
  • Prepare and maintain a 20-year, long-range Metropolitan Transportation Plan
  • Develop and maintain a four-year, short-range Transportation Improvement Plan
  • Identify performance measure targets and monitor progress towards achieving targets
  • Involve the general public

“The City of Enid is excited to work with everyone with the new MPO to better plan our transportation future," said Enid City Manager Jerald Gilbert.

Projects developed and implemented by the MPO will be funded through federal funds, provided through ODOT, and will fund 80% of project planning cost with the local area providing the remaining 20%. Other funding options are available and can come from a variety of sources including state government, transit districts and local governments.

"Metropolitan planning organizations are a key element to ensuring local areas have a say in the impact of transportation planning for their communities," said ODOT Deputy Director Dawn Sullivan. "We're thrilled to partner with the City of Enid and excited to begin planning for the future."

The Chisholm Trail MPO will be made up of elected officials and state leaders including Enid Mayor Davis Mason, two members from the Enid City Council, Garfield County Commissioner Chairman John Martin, ODOT District IV Commissioner Don Freymiller, ODOT District IV Engineer Trenton January, Enid Aviation Advisory Board Chair Dan Heath, Enid Public Transportation Authority General Manager Demetria Dixon, Vance Air Force Base 71st FTW Commander Colonel Charles D. Throckmorton IV, among others. 

ODOT currently works with four other MPOs: the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments, Indian Nations Council of Governments, Lawton Metropolitan Planning Organization, Frontier Metropolitan Planning Organization.

To learn more about Metropolitan Planning Organizations and their partnerships with ODOT, click here

Last Modified on Dec 28, 2023
Back to Top