Oklahoma School for the Deaf
The Oklahoma School for the Deaf (OSD) in Sulphur provides residential, early intervention and outreach education services at no charge to students who are Deaf and hard of hearing. OSD also provides preschool programs for children who are Deaf at regional sites in Edmond and Chickasha.
Information for Parents (and Others involved in the Child's Education)
Check out the Information for Parents document to find out about the specialized services OSD provides for Oklahoma's children who are deaf or hard hearing. OSD programs serve students on campus as well as those attending school in their home communities. Open the Information for Parents PDF file or Information for Parents Word file
Residential and Day School Education
At the main campus in Sulphur, OSD offers educational, vocational and campus life programs for residential and day students from infancy to 12th grade. Educational programs and support services address students' intellectual, physical, social and emotional needs through curriculum, extracurricular activities, transition programs, counseling, physical therapy and health services.
Secondary school students receive vocational and technical training and work experience through Occupational Training Opportunities for the Deaf and other vocational programs.
Students are transported home by the school for weekends and holidays.
The School for the Deaf also serves as a resource center for the needs of Oklahoma students who are Deaf but do not attend classes at OSD. Outreach staff administer speech and language, psycho-educational and audiological assessments to children across the state. Families of pre-school children who are Deaf receive early intervention assistance. OSD also provides on site consultation to public school districts, in-service training for teachers and special cultural, academic, and social programs, including those offered in the summer.
A student must be deaf or hard of hearing. The student’s hearing disability must be the student’s primary disability.
How to Apply
- Admission to the school is accomplished through application directly from parents or guardians.
- The school accepts referrals from Local Education Agencies (LEAs), educational cooperatives, parents residing within the State of Oklahoma, and/or third party agencies or individuals.
- Download and fill out the Application for Admission form
- The OSD Admissions Committee reviews the application and all pertinent documentation and determines if OSD is an appropriate placement.
What to Bring
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Recent Picture of Student
- Current Immunization Record
- Medications: Does your child currently take medications? If so, are there any changes being made such as increasing, lowering dosage or taking your child off medications?
- Legal Documents: If parents are divorced or someone else has custody/guardianship of a child.
- Transcript/grades/state mandated testing reports
- Both MEEGS and IEP
- Psychological Evaluation
- Speech Evaluation
- Discipline Records
- Proof of Oklahoma residency (copy of utility bill that shows current residential address)