Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

If your question is not answered here, please contact us and we will be glad to help you.

Your foster care specialist is the DHS employee who worked with you to complete your certification requirements to be a foster parent. Sometimes your foster care specialist will be changed based upon county staffing considerations. The quickest way to confirm the name of your foster care specialist is by contacting your county office. You may also call the foster parent assistance line at 1-800-376-9729.

If you need a birth certificate or other documents for your foster child, you must contact the child welfare worker who is responsible for your foster child’s case.

You will begin receiving foster care reimbursement checks after you have completed all certification requirements [340:75-7-12], including an approved family assessment [340:75-7-18], and there is a child placed in your home. These checks are issued on a monthly basis, always one month in arrears. 

Your foster care specialist will enroll you in foster care classes after you have completed an application and passed a background check.

To make-up a missed training session call the National Resource Center at 1-800-274-2687, ext. 3747.

Back to Top