Accessing an OKDHS custody child's SSI funds
Children receiving SSI cannot accrue more than $2,000 dollars, without losing their SSI benefits.
The Administrative Services Unit of Child Welfare Services (CWS) sends one monthly e-mail to field staff providing a notification when this limit is being reached.
In these cases, the child may prefer to purchase needed items rather than allowing the SSI money to be lost.
Procedures to access a child's SSI funds:
The child welfare worker should send a memo through intra-agency mail to the:
Child Welfare Services
Attention: Administrative Services Unit
Sequoyah Memorial Office Building
Information in the request should include:
Child's Social Security Number or date of birth;
- Caregiver's name and full mailing address;
- Items the child wants or needs to purchase;
- Approximate price of each item;
- Total amount of the items.
Important information for workers:
- Approval must be obtained before purchases are made;
- The child may not purchase food, clothing or shelter as caregivers are already paid to provide those items;
- The purchases must remain the child's property and stay with the child regardless of the placement;
- Send purchase receipts to the CWS Administrative Services Unit staff person who sent the notice; and
- Keep copies of receipts in the child's paper case file.