Skip to main content

Library: Policy

317:35-5-43. Third party resources; insurance, workers' compensation and Medicare

Revised 9-24-13

     Federal Regulations require that all reasonable measures to ascertain legal liability of third parties to pay for care and services be taken.  In instances where such liability is found to exist after SoonerCare has been made available, reimbursement to the extent of such legal liability must be sought.  The applicant or member must fully disclose to OHCA that another resource may be available to pay for care.  If OKDHS obtains information regarding other available resources from a third party, the worker must complete OKDHS Form 08AD050E, and submit to OHCA, Third Party Liability Unit. Certification or payment in behalf of an eligible individual may not be withheld because of the liability of a third party when such liability or the amount cannot be currently established or is not currently available to pay the individual's medical expense.  The rules in this Section also apply when an individual categorically related to pregnancy-related services plans to put the child up for adoption.  Any agreement with an adoption agency or attorneys shall include payment of medical care and must be considered as a possibly liable third party, regardless of whether agreement is made during prenatal, delivery or postpartum periods.

  • (1) Insurance.

    • (A) Private insurance.  An individual requesting SoonerCare is responsible for identifying and providing information on any private medical insurance.  He/she is also responsible for reporting subsequent changes in insurance coverage.

    • (B) Government benefits.  Individuals requesting SoonerCare who are also eligible for Civilian Health and Medical Programs for Uniformed Services (CHAMPUS), must disclose that the coverage is available.  They are considered a third party liability source.

  • (2) Workers' Compensation.  An applicant for SoonerCare or a SoonerCare member that requires medical care because of a work injury or occupational disease must notify OHCA/TPL immediately and assist OHCA in ascertaining the facts related to the injury or disease (such as date, details of the accident, etc.).  The OHCA periodically matches data with the Worker's Compensation Court on all cases under its jurisdiction.  When any information regarding an applicant for SoonerCare or a SoonerCare member is obtained, the member must assist OHCA with the subrogation claim with the employer/insurer. 

  • (3) Third party liability (accident or injury).  When medical services are required for an applicant of SoonerCare or a SoonerCare member as the result of an accident or injury known to the worker, the member is responsible for reporting to OHCA/TPL the persons involved in the accident, date and details of the accident and possible insurance benefits which might be made available.  If an automobile accident involves more than one car it is necessary to report liability insurance on all cars involved.

    • (A) If OKDHS receives information regarding a SoonerCare member or applicant seeking medical services due to an accident, the worker submits any information available to OHCA/TPL.

    • (B) If OHCA receives a claim for payment from SoonerCare funds and the diagnosis indicates the need for services may have resulted from an accident or injury involving third party liability, OHCA will attempt to contact the member to obtain details of the incident.  If additional contact is necessary with the member, the local OKDHS office or OHCA representative may be requested by the OHCA/TPL Unit to submit the appropriate information.

  • (4) Medicare eligibility.  If it appears the applicant may be eligible for Medicare but does not have a Medicare card or other verification, the information is cleared with the Social Security Office and the findings entered with the date of the verification in the record.  If the applicant did not enroll for Part A or Part B at the time he/she became eligible for Medicare and is now subject to pay an escalated premium for Medicare enrollment, he/she is required to do so.  Payment can be made for services within the scope of SoonerCare.

  • (5) Absent parent.

    • (A) Applicants are required to cooperate with the Oklahoma Department of Human Services Oklahoma Child Support Services (OCSS) in the assignment of child/spousal support rights.  The families involved are those with a minor child(ren) in the home.  The child(ren) must be related to the children's, the blind, or the disabled groups and have a parent(s) absent from the home.  Any support collected on behalf of these families will be paid to them as if they were receiving non-public assistance child support services, with one exception. The exception is regarding child support collected for foster care child(ren) in OKDHS temporary custody.  This support is paid to OKDHS Children and Family Services Division (CFSD).  The child support income continues to be counted in determining SoonerCare eligibility if it is counted under the financial eligibility methodology used for the group for which eligibility is being determined. The rules in OAC 317:35-10 are used, with the following exceptions:

      • (i) In the event the family already has an existing child support case, the only action required is a memo to the appropriate OCSS district office notifying them of the certification.

      • (ii) Prior to October 1, 2013, child/spousal support is always counted as income less any applicable income disregard.  This income inclusion applies whether it is redirected to the CFSD or retained by the member. Effective October 1, 2013, see rules regarding financial eligibility for the individual's eligibility group to determine whether child/spousal support is counted as income.

      • (iii) Children who are in custody of OKDHS may be exempt from referral to OCSS.  Should the pursuit of the OCSS services be determined to be detrimental to the OKDHS CFSD service plan, an exemption may be approved.

    • (B) Cash medical support may be ordered to be paid to the OHCA by the non-custodial parent if there is no access to health insurance at a reasonable cost or if the health insurance is determined not accessible to the child according to OCSS Rules. Reasonable is deemed to be 5% or less of the non-custodial parent's gross income.  The administration and collection of cash medical support will be determined by OKDHS OCSS and will be based on the income guidelines and rules that are applicable at the time.  However, at no time will the non-custodial parent be required to pay more than 5% of his/her gross income for cash medical support unless payment in excess of 5% is ordered by the Court.  The disbursement and hierarchy of payments will be determined pursuant to OKDHS/OCSS guidelines.

Back to Top