317:35-19-2. Nursing Facility (NF) program medical eligibility determination
The Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS) area nurse or nurse designee, determines medical eligibility for NF services based on the DHS nurse's Uniform Comprehensive Assessment Tool (UCAT) Part III assessment of the client's needed level of care, the outcome of the Level II Preadmission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR), when completed, and his or her professional judgment. The Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) Level of Care Evaluation Unit (LOCEU) makes some determinations when the PASRR is involved. Refer to Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 317:35-19-7.1(3) for NF level of care medical eligibility requirements.
(1) When NF care services are requested prior to admission, the same rules related to medical eligibility determination identified in OAC 317:35-17-5 for ADvantage services are followed.
(2) The DHS nurse reviews the PASRR Level I in the OHCA system; completes the UCAT III; and enters the date OHCA received the PASRR Level I (LTC-300R) from the NF and admission date to the NF; medical eligibility effective date and notes any Level II PASRR results if available in the UCAT Part III. This information is submitted to the DHS area nurse for medical eligibility determination.
(4) When it is not possible for the UCAT Part III assessment to be completed prior to admission, the NF is responsible for notifying the DHS of the admission. Notification is mailed or faxed on DHS Form 08MA083E, Notification Regarding Patient In A Nursing Facility, Intermediate Care Facility for the Intellectually Disabled or Hospice, and Management Recipient Funds to the local DHS county office. Upon receipt, the DHS county office processes Forms 08MA083E and 08MA084E and completes and forwards the Form 08MA038E, Notice Regarding Financial Eligibility to the NF. Identified sections of the UCAT Part III reflecting the domains for meeting medical criteria are completed for applicants residing in the NF at the time of assessment. The area nurse or nurse designee, confirms the date of medical eligibility and records it in the system. The facility is responsible for performing the PASRR Level I screen and consulting with OHCA staff to determine when a need exists for a Level II screen. The DHS nurse completes the assessment within fifteen-business (15-business) days of PASRR clearance when the individual's needs are included in an active DHS coded case. When the individual's needs are not included in an active case, the assessment is completed within twenty-business (20-business) days of PASRR clearance.
(5) The area nurse or nurse designee, evaluates the PASRR Level I screen and the UCAT Part III in consultation with the DHS nurse when the completed LTC-300R and/or facility documentation shows a need exists for a possible Level II screen. The area nurse or nurse designee consults with OHCA staff as necessary.
(6) The area nurse or nurse designee, evaluates the UCAT Parts I and III, to determine if the applicant meets the medical eligibility criteria for NF level of care. Individuals may be medically-certified for NF level of care for various lengths of time depending on the client's needs. The area nurse or nurse designee, enters the medical eligibility decision and, when required, the medical certification review date into Aging Services Division Electronic Data Entry and Retrieval System (ELDERS) within ten-business (10-business) days. A medical eligibility redetermination is not required when a client is discharged from the NF for a period not to exceed ninety-calendar (90-calendar) days and the original certification is current.
(7) When the DHS nurse recommends NF level of care and the client is determined by the area nurse or nurse designee, not to be medically eligible for NF level of care, the DHS nurse can submit additional information to the area nurse or nurse designee. When necessary, a visit by the DHS nurse to obtain additional information is initiated at the recommendation of the area nurse or nurse designee.
(8) Categorical relationship must be established for determination of eligibility for NF services. When categorical relationship to disability has not been established, the worker submits the same information, per OAC 317:35-5-4(2) to the LOCEU to request a determination of eligibility for categorical relationship. LOCEU renders a decision on categorical relationship to the disabled applicant using the Social Security Administration (SSA) definition. A follow-up with the SSA by the DHS worker is required to ensure the SSA disability decision agrees with the LOCEU decision.