317:30-5-558. Private duty nursing coverage limitations
The following provisions apply to all PDN services and provide coverage limitations:
(1) All services must be prior authorized to receive payment from the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA). Prior authorization means authorization in advance of services provided in accordance with Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 317:30-3-31 and 317:30-5-560.1;
(2) A treatment plan must be completed by an eligible PDN provider before requesting prior authorization and must be updated at least annually and signed by the physician [medical doctor (MD), or doctor of osteopathy, (DO], a physician assistant (PA), or advanced practice registered nurse (APRN)];
(3) An assessment by an OHCA care management nurse is required prior to the authorization for services. The assessment will be conducted by the OHCA through one (1) of the following:
(B) Virtually; or
(4) Care in excess of the designated hours per day granted in the prior authorization is not SoonerCare compensable. Prior-authorized but unused service hours cannot be "banked," "saved," or otherwise "accumulated" for use at a future date or time. If such hours or services are provided, they are not SoonerCare compensable.
(5) Any medically necessary PDN care provided outside of the home must be counted in and cannot exceed the number of hours requested on the treatment plan and approved by OHCA.
(6) PDN services do not include office time or administrative time in providing the service. The time billed is for direct nursing services only.
(7) Staff must be engaged in purposeful activity that directly benefits the member receiving services. Staff must be physically able and mentally alert to carry out the duties of the job. At no time will OHCA compensate an organization for nursing staff time when sleeping.
(8) OHCA will not approve PDN services if all health and safety issues cannot be met in the setting in which services are provided.
(9) A provider must not misrepresent or omit facts in a treatment plan.
(10) It is outside the scope of coverage to deliver care in a manner outside of the treatment plan or to deliver units over the authorized units of care.
(11) PDN is not authorized in excess of sixteen (16) hours per day. There may be approval for additional hours for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days, if:
(A) The member has an acute episode that would otherwise require hospitalization or immediately following a hospital stay; or
(B) The primary caregiver is temporarily and involuntarily unable to provide care.
(C) The OHCA has discretion and the final authority to approve or deny any additional PDN hours and will take into consideration that the additional hours are not to be a substitute for institutionalized care.
(12) Family and/or caregivers and/or guardians (hereinafter, "caregivers") are required to provide some of the nursing care to the member without compensation. PDN services shall not be provided solely to allow the member's caregiver to work or go to school, nor solely to allow respite for the caregiver.
(13) PDN services will not be approved for overnight trips away from the member's primary residence that are unrelated to medically necessary treatment or medical care.
(A) For a member to receive Medicaid-reimbursable PDN services on an overnight trip that is related to medically necessary treatment or medical care, all provisions of this Part must be met. If said trip occurs out of state, OAC 317:30-3-89 through 317:30-3-92 must also be met.
(B) In instances in which the member's family is temporarily absent due to vacations, any additional PDN hours must be paid for by the family, or provided by other trained family members without SoonerCare reimbursement.
(14) PDN services will not be approved when services are reimbursed or reimbursable by other insurance, other governmental programs, or Medicaid program services that the member receives or is eligible to receive. For example, if a member receives Medicaid-reimbursable PDN services pursuant to an Individualized Education Program (IEP) in a public school, then those PDN school hours will be counted in the member's daily allotment of PDN services.