Skip to main content

Library: Policy

317:30-5-63. Trust funds

Revised 9-1-17

When a new member is admitted to a long term care hospital, the administrator will complete and send to the county office the Management of Recipient's Funds form to indicate whether or not the member has requested the administrator to handle personal funds. If the administrator agrees to handle the member's funds, the Management of Recipient's Funds form will be completed each time funds or other items of value, other than monthly income, are received.

(1) The facility may use electronic ledgers and bank statements as the source documentation for each member for whom they are holding funds or other items of value. This information must be available at all times for inspection and audit purposes. The facility must have written policies that ensure complete accounting of the member's personal funds. All member's funds which are handled by the facility must be clearly identified and maintained separately from funds belonging to the facility or to private patients. When the total sum of all funds for all members is $250.00 or more, they must be deposited by the facility in a local bank account designated as "Recipient's Trust Funds". The funds are not to be commingled with the operating funds of the facility. Each resident in an intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities (ICF/IID) must be allowed to possess and use money in normal ways or be learning to do so.

(2) The facility is responsible for notifying the county office at any time a member's account reaches or exceeds the maximum reserve by use of the Accounting-Recipient's Personal Funds and Property form. This form is also prepared by the facility when the member dies or is transferred or discharged, and at the time of the county eligibility review of the member.

(3) The Management of Recipient's Funds form, the Accounting-Recipient's Personal Funds and Property form, and the Ledger Sheets for Recipient's Account are available online at

(4) When the ownership or operation of the facility is discontinued or where the facility is sold and the members' trust funds are to be transferred to a successor facility, the status of all member's trust funds must be verified by the OHCA and/or the buyer must be provided with written verification by an independent public accountant of all residents' monies and properties being transferred, and a signed receipt obtained from the owner. All transfers of a member's trust funds must be acknowledged, in writing, by the transferring facility and proper receipts given by the receiving facility.

(5) Unclaimed funds or other property of deceased member's, with no known heirs, must be reported to the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

(6) It is permissible to use an individual trust fund account to defray the cost of last illness, outstanding personal debts and burial expenses of a deceased member of the OHCA; however, any remaining balance of unclaimed funds must be reported to the Oklahoma Tax Commission. The Unclaimed Property Division, Oklahoma Tax Commission, State Capitol Complex, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, is to be notified for disposition instructions on any unclaimed funds or property. No money is to be sent to the Oklahoma Tax Commission until so instructed by the Unclaimed Property Division.

(7) Books, records, ledgers, charge slips and receipts must be on file in the facility for a period of six (6) years and available at all times in the facility for inspection and audit purposes.

Back to Top