3172-3-8. Greivances and appeals notice
(a) The MCE will provide timely written notices per OAC 317:2-3-4 and 317:2-3-5.
(b) Each notice will conform to the provisions of 42 Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.) ' 438.10 related to information provided from an MCE to a member.
(c) At minimum, each notice will:
(1) Be written in a manner and format that may be easily understood and is readily accessible by members;
(2) Use OHCA-developed definitions for terms as those terms are defined in the Model Member Handbook related to the contract;
(3) Use a font size no smaller than twelve-point (12-point);
(4) Be made available in alternative formats and through the provision of auxiliary aids and services in an appropriate manner that takes into consideration the special needs of members with disabilities or limited English proficiency; and
(5) Include a large-print tagline, in minimum eighteen-point (18-point) font, and information on how to request auxiliary aids and services, including the provision of materials in alternative formats.
(d) Per the delegation choice of 42 C.F.R. ' 438.228, OHCA does not delegate responsibility to the MCE for timely notices of action under 42 C.F.R. Part 431, Subpart E.
(1) OHCA retains all responsibility for timely notices of action under 42 C.F.R. Part 431, Subpart E, including:
(A) A termination, suspension of, or reduction in covered benefits or services, when termination, suspension, or reduction is determined by OHCA;
(B) A termination, suspension of, or reduction in Medicaid eligibility, when termination, suspension, or reduction is determined by OHCA; and
(C) An increase in beneficiary liability, including determination that a beneficiary will incur a greater amount of medical expenses in order to establish income eligibility or is subject to an increase in premiums or cost sharing charges, when such increase is determined by OHCA.
(2) The foregoing (d)(1) does not apply to:
(A) Any grievance notice required to be sent by the MCE by contract or 42 C.F.R. ' 438.408;
(B) Any adverse benefit determination notice based on the termination, suspension, or reduction of authorized covered services, payment denial, or standard, expedited, or untimely service authorization denial or limitation as required to be sent by the MCE by contract or 42 C.F.R. 438.404;
(C) Any appeal resolution notice required to be sent by the MCE by contract or 42 C.F.R. ' 438.404 or 438.408; or
(D) Any other notice required to be sent by the MCE by contract or any state or federal law or regulation.
(3) OHCA's decision not to delegate the notices of action required by 42 C.F.R. Part 431 Subpart E applies to any managed care entity under any managed care contract for professional services unless and until this section is revoked.
(4) The random review system required of a state by 42 C.F.R. ' 438.228 does not apply to OHCA, because OHCA has not delegated responsibility for the relevant notices of action.
(5) For any notices of action for which OHCA retains responsibility under this section, OHCA will ensure the notice conforms to federal regulations at 42 C.F.R. Part 431, Subpart E, and any applicable requirements under 42 C.F.R. ' 438.228. OHCA will send such notices of action by electronic or postal means at least ten (10) days before the date of action, except as permitted when:
(A) OHCA has factual information confirming the death of a beneficiary;
(B) OHCA receives a clear written statement signed by a member that they no longer wish to receive services or that gives information that requires termination or reduction of services and indicates that the member understands that supplying the information will result in termination or reduction of services;
(C) The member has been admitted to an institution where they are ineligible for further services;
(D) The member's whereabouts are unknown and the post office returns, indicating no forwarding address, OHCA mail sent directly to the member; and
(E) The MCE establishes the fact that the member has been accepted for Medicaid services by another local jurisdiction, state, territory, or commonwealth.
(6) For any notices of action for which OHCA retains responsibility under this Section, OHCA will ensure the notice contains:
(A) A statement of the action OHCA intends to take and the effective date of such action;
(B) A clear statement of the specific reasons supporting the intended action, the specific regulations that support or require the action, and an explanation of the member's rights to request a hearing; and
(C) An explanation of the circumstances under which benefits continue if a hearing is requested.
(7) For any notices of action for which OHCA retains responsibility under this section, OHCA will allow the member a reasonable time, not to exceed ninety (90) days from the date the notice is mailed, to request a State fair hearing.