Skip to main content

Wrecker Services: Questions about Getting Licensed

  1. What is a General (G) Class wrecker service license?

    •  A G class wrecker service with no storage can tow vehicles, at the owner's request, from one location to another but cannot take the vehicle back to their home or store the vehicle in another's storage facility
    • A Class G wrecker service with storage (many are repossessions) may pick up vehicles at the owner or lien holder's request and take back to their storage facility. They cannot tow a vehicle from private property at the property owner's request and they cannot tow for law enforcement agencies.
  2. What is a Class AA Wrecker license?
    •  To be a Class AA wrecker service, you must have a storage facility. The class AA means you can tow all vehicles as long as you do not go over the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of your wrecker vehicle. Class AA can tow owner request, private property and be on law enforcement rotation.
  3. How do I apply for a wrecker license?

    • You may apply to be a Wrecker Service if you meet these requirements:
      • Own or lease a wrecker vehicle as defined in Title 47, Section 951 of the Oklahoma Statutes.
      • Maintain an office location, if you fall within either of the following categories:
        • Wrecker service company desiring to participate in law enforcement rotation.
        • General class wrecker service company planning to store vehicles.
      • The office must be maintained at the storage facility or within a two mile radius.
      • Maintain an outdoor storage facility.
    • If requirements met, download copy of the Wrecker Service Application form and follow the instructions. If the office, storage lot or any wrecker vehicle is leased, a copy of the lease agreement must be supplied to DPS with the application. You must also include a Department of Public Safety Certificate of Insurance (WA180) form and an OSBI Criminal History (form) for all owners/officers listed on the application. 
  4. How long will it take once I send in my application before I get my license?

    • Generally, it will take a couple of days for the application to be reviewed and approved. However, this process may be delayed if the application is not submitted with all materials required or the insurance company has not sent a Department of Public Safety Certificate of Insurance (WA180). Also, there may be a delay if the insurance form is not properly completed or the amount of coverage does not meet the insurance requirements.
  5. How much insurance must I have to own a wrecker service?

  6. Once I get my DPS number and the trucks/storage facilities are ready for an inspection, what do I do?

  7. The Trooper has been out and approved my wrecker and/or storage facility. Am I licensed?

    • No. You must take the inspection form the Trooper gave you and take it to your local tag agent and purchase a wrecker license plate before you can tow a vehicle. (Note: if your current license plate is not expired, you should turn it into the tag agent for credit.)
  8. How do I add a new truck or get a new truck inspected?

  9. How do I add a wrecker service driver?

    • Go to the Wrecker Services Notification for New Wrecker Driver location at My.OK.GOV. Login or sign up now by creating an account to manage your request. This is to be used by Licensed Wrecker Services only.
  10. How do I remove a wrecker service driver from my wrecker service license?

    • Email Wrecker Services or fax to (405) 425-2031 a letter with your DPS#, a wrecker service name, and driver's name, date of birth and driver license number telling us he no longer works for you.
  11. How do I file a complaint?

    • Depends on what the complaint is about. The Oklahoma Cooperation Commission regulates the fees a wrecker service can change on nonconsensual tows. OCC Transportation Division. The Department of Public Safety is in charge of seeing the wrecker services have the proper amount of insurance coverage, vehicle equipment, and meet wrecker service storage facility requirements. Send an email to Wrecker Services explaining your complaint.
Last Modified on Oct 26, 2020
Back to Top