Eastern OK County Technology Center
4601 N Choctaw Rd
October 21, 2021
9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
All drivers are required to have the Traffic Incident Management (TIM) certification in order to become an approved wrecker driver.
However, there is not a specific class requirement for the four (4) credit hours of continued education each driver must have each year. The continued education portion can be formal lectures, courses, seminars, webinars, videos or any other similar type of educational program designed to educate an individual and give him or her further skills or knowledge to be applied in his or her line of work.
Traffic Incident Management Training
All drivers are required to have the Traffic Incident Management (TIM) certification in order to become an approved wrecker driver. A copy must be submitted to DPS in order to receive an approved driver card.
Oklahoma Traffic Incident Management Coalition (website: www.oktim.org) – TIM consists of a planned and coordinated multidisciplinary process to detect, respond to and clear traffic incidents so that traffic flow may be restored as safely and quickly as possible. Effective TIM reduces the duration and impacts of traffic incidents and improves the safety of motorists, crash victims and emergency responders. **NEW** Now offering online TIM course.
- On-line course available through the National Highway Institute. (website: www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov) Certificate should be faxed (405-425-2031) or emailed (email@example.com) to DPS to receive training credit.
- Another on-line TIM course can be found at www.respondersafety.com
DPS Approved Training – (Click here to display)
- Types of training a wrecker service can submit for credit hour approval. A 16-hour Wrecker Operations course, which includes TIM training and hands-on training, is required for those wrecker operators acquiring their wrecker license with less than 2 years’ experience in wrecker operations.
Training Classes – (*Trainer Contact List - click here)
- DPS approved training classes are open to current and new wrecker operators and any other First Responders who are interested in Wrecker Rules & Operations.
- New Wrecker License applicants should contact their nearest trainer to schedule a class if there is not a current 16-Hour class available.
2021 WRECKER OPERATOR TRAINING CLASSES
(No cost for training!)
The following classes have been designed to meet the required annual continued education and provide fundamental knowledge of required equipment and general wrecker service operating procedures for all wrecker operators; both AA and G class wreckers.(NOTE: All classes have a limit of 30 students only)
To enroll in any class, send email to Wrecker Services. Please list date of class wanting to attend, your DPS #, names of all who will be attending and their DL# to be placed on the roster.
Independent Wrecker Service Training
- Student Info Sheet (Click here for form) – Use this document for submitting individually obtained training.
- Skills tests may be used for independent, hands-on training given by the wrecker service owner or experienced wrecker operators.
- New Hire Ride-Along Form (Click here for form) – Use this document to submit any additional 'on-the-job' new hire training. Instructor/Trainer must have at least ten (10) years of consecutive and current documented wrecker operation experience in law enforcement towing/recovery or at least five (5) years of consecutive and current documented wrecker operation experience in law enforcement towing/recovery with formalized training certifications. (Wrecker Master, TRAA, NATA). Be specific when listing 'Type of Training' (i.e. 4 Point Tie Down, Load/Unload, Vehicle Controls, Cables/Hooks/Chains, etc.)
- Any independent training applications and supporting documents must be submitted by fax or email to the Wrecker Service Division to receive credit approval.
Outside Training Resources
SEE BELOW FOR OUTSIDE TRAINING AVAILABLE CLASSES OR CONTACT AN APPROVED TRAINER FOR CLASS AVAILABILITY - click here
Truck Source, Perry OK
Approved DPS Trainers
16 Hour Training Class
Day one: Classroom
Day two: Hands on