Skip to main content

Additional Certified Assistant Administrator Qualifications

This information has been paraphrased...
Refer to OAC 490, Chapters 1, 10 and 15 for the definitive requirements

To be a CERTIFIED ASSISTANT ADMINISTRATOR (only valid under certain nursing home conditions...):

The complete and full explanation is available in OAC 490, Chapter 15...if you're doing this, you REALLY need to be familiar... NHAs who will have Certified Assistants working for them need also to be very familiar with those requirements...


• have successfully completed high school (with a diploma) or be in receipt of a G.E.D.;
• have completed AU (this was a change in the October 1, 2018 effective rules, with an effective date of January 1, 2019);
• pass the State Standards exam (75% minimum) for the CAA exam; and
• have 2 years of current management, leadership or supervisory experience in a long term care facility
    o New rule also October 1, 2018 allows for less experience with an AIT requirement added
    o Experience must explicitly state how many individuals the applicant supervised in their supervisory role; the Board distinguishes between supervising a program and supervising personnel and requires experience supervising personnel.

There are numerous "conditions of employment" once certified that must be maintained. Annual renewal fees are $75.

We do NOT recommend someone become a CAA and look for an opportunity to serve in that capacity; most people who become a CAA are pre-identified to fill a need where the company wishes to use CAAs. One CAA is never employed in that capacity alone. There are typically 2 CAAs working as CAAs under one licensed NHA as the Administrator of record of 2 facilities. The Nursing Home Care Act (at 1-1943.1) requires there be a CAA at each facility when the NHA is administrator-of-record over those multiple facilities. It is different and complicated. Don’t be afraid to ask…

Now that you have reviewed the qualifications and are ready to start the process, we wish you the best of luck in this endeavor and will help you all we can. Pam Duren (405-522-1619 or is the best point of contact for NHA type questions.

This information also available in PDF

Last Modified on Oct 05, 2021
Back to Top