Skip to main content


You need to know the qualifications and which license (or certification) you're applying for when you start the process... FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and the training/testing varies between the different lines of service.  Start with the General Qualifications (which are applicable to all) and then see the additional requirements for each credential.  

These are applicable to all... read more.  Each individual license type (line of service or LOS) is expanded upon below but these things are applicable to all applicants and the right place to start usually.

NOTE:  With the passage of HB2824 and the future abolishment of OSBELTCA (moving its functions under the Department of Health), several things will be changing.  There are also some "rules changes" that will go into effect prior to that move as well, and among those rules changes are that training from NAB approved entry level courses can be substituted for Board approved training and there is also a requirement for Res Care Administrator, Adult Day Care Administrators and Certified Assistant Administrator applicants to pass the NAB Core exam (not previously required).  

- We've made all of the original information available in a printable PDF at the bottom of each of the linked pages discussing the various license types and qualifications...these above referenced changes have NOT YET been added to this information with the changes from HB2824 and the 2023 rules changes.

The NHA qualifications are the most extensive (read more) but the scope of practice for this license does permit the licensee to work in Residential Care, Assisted Living, Adult Day Care, Nursing Facilities and also ICFs (Intermediate Care Facilities).  

Training is currently provided by OKALA (Oklahoma Assisted Living Association) for this license.  You can read more about the additional qualifications here.

The training for the RC Administrator is essentially the same as for RCAL.  The difference is, currently, that the RC Administrator does not take a NAB Exam (state standards exam only) and their scope of practice does NOT include Assisted Living (Res Care Only).  Read more... 

Oklahoma is a pioneer in Adult Day Care being the first state to license Adult Day Care Administrators.  Read more about the qualifications here.  

The CAA is a uniquely Oklahoman innovation that allows a NHA to be the Administrator-of-Record (AOR) at two or more facilities (within certain conditions) when there is a CAA employed at each facility.  Typically, people don't become a CAA and go find a job; someone needs a CAA and sends them to the training instead.  Read more about this here.  

"Reciprocity" is a widely used misnomer.  If you're licensed in another state and looking to be licensed in Oklahoma, you're looking for Licensure by Endorsement.  Read more about how this is explained here.  

Temporary and Provisional licenses are not "normal" but instead pretty rare; but occasionally someone qualifies and needs this credential.  We explain that here.  

Last Modified on Aug 24, 2023