Skip to main content

Future Administrators

A lot of our pages look like this with "topics" identified and when you click on that topic you find a little more explanation and within that explanation a link (or links).  So, you can click on any of the topics below and see the topic open up and locate the additional link(s) there to find what you're looking for easier.  The little arrows on the right side are a hint that there's "more" underneath that topic.  You can click on the words or the arrow...

Here, you will find information about General Qualifications (applicable to every license and certificate we grant) and the more specific requirements for each line of service (LOS) as well as information about "licensure by endorsement" as well as Provisional and Temporary licenses (which are both unusual and rare).  You need to know which license you're actually able to get before you invest too much time, effort and expense into it... our fees are non-refundable and the training and testing requirements do vary by license type.  Click here - great place to start!

AU is held twice per year and is required for NHA and CAA candidates.  Following this link, you'll be able to see when the next class starts (you may want on the waiting list soon...) and look at the current syllabus to start reading up on a few things... Click here if you're applying for the NHA license or to be certified as a CAA and learn more about this unique training.  

Currently, OKALA is the only Board approved source for RC or RCAL Administrator training...but as of August 15, 2023 (when a rule change went into effect), there are other training options available.  You can visit OKALA's website for pricing and dates for their future courses.  

The new rule allows the Board to accept *NAB Approved Entry Level Training* in place of other Board approved training (such as the RCAL/RC program taught by OKALA).  WHERE WOULD ONE FIND THIS KIND OF TRAINING?  You'd go to the NAB Website and the NAB Approved CE Database (it's absolutely NOT "CE" but that is where this "odd" training is posted on their website... it IS "entry level" training...) and do a search for "56 hour" for RCAL training courses and you should find some courses there by Longtree...  This particular course is a "webinar" style (not an online, recorded training, so there are certain dates/times you will have to attend their training). Start here at this link.  ALSO, please note, as of November 1, 2023, you will to need to also complete an AIT program (the new statute change requires training programs be at NAB Accreditation standards and the NAB Accreditation standard for RCAL includes a 500 hour AIT Program...this will apply to OKALA's course as well) so you will need to have an application open with us so we can also get you set up with a Preceptor to get those AIT hours...and NONE of the hours in this program can be attributed to your AIT program hours (this is separate "academic" training).  We're also going to be looking for RCAL Administrators to become certified as Preceptors.

*To be very clear, this is not a "NAB Course" as so many are apparently starting to call it... it is approved by NAB but it is not "their" course and NAB does not benefit from it.  The company providing this training is called "Longtree" so it is the "Longtree Course" but the key to it being accepted by this Board (by rule) is that it is a NAB Approved Entry Level Course.  Please don't call it the NAB Course...there may one day be multiple NAB Approved Entry Level Courses (the "Senior Living University" materials OKALA uses, for example, could be NAB approved some day...) and we're setting ourselves up for future confusion by calling it what it's not.

IF YOU ARE DOING THIS ALTERNATIVE TRAINING TO OKALA's course... there are several things you need to know because you will be pretty much "on your own."  When you're in OKALA's course, they can kind of "hold your hand" through some of the Board's processes.  But, if you're going this route, you're going to have to be a little more self-sustained.  FOR EXAMPLE, this "alternative" course does NOT prepare you IN ANY WAY for the "State Examination."  In OKALA's course, you're somewhat prepared for that and we even hold a review of the material prior to the exam to help prepare you.  You're going to have to take the initiative to prepare yourself for this by ordering one of our Study Guides (let us know you want one AFTER you've applied...) and we will create an invoice for that...once you pay for it, we'll get it out in the mail to you.  And, after you've looked up the questions in the Study Guide you can then do a "RE-view" (it's only a RE-view if you've previously viewed it...) by using the videos we've also made available (free) on our website to get your final prep for taking the State Exam.  Along these same lines, after you've applied, you're going to also need to start the AIT or Internship program... there's a fee for that (let us know you're ready and we will enter an invoice for that, too).  You CANNOT start the AIT until you're in the training class... so particularly with these NAB Approved alternatives (and maybe also the OKALA course), you MAY want to finish those courses before you start.  But, the bottom line is that the FIRST THING  you need to do with us is to get that application started so we can add on to it with the AIT program and the Study guide... the fees for the NAB Approved alternative and OKALA options are paid directly to the course provider (not to us).  We typically also do a "set up" with you and your Preceptor when you're ready to start the AIT program (that's when a Training Permit is issued...) and some people know who is going to be their Preceptor and some people need our help to make those pairings.  We understand that... so here's a sort of checklist:
__ Apply for the RCAL license or RC license (the RC license now requires that you pass the NAB Core Exam...)
__ Start the OKALA (or NAB Approved alternative) training
__ Let us know you're ready to start the AIT Program (do NOT start on your own...a training permit is required to start); you cannot start the AIT until after you've started either OKALA's course or the alternative course AND a permit is required, too
__ Let us know when you're ready for a Study Guide for the State Exam
__ After you've finished the AIT and passed the State Exam, RCAL applicants will need to pass the two NAB exams (Core and RCAL line of service...) and the RC applicants will need to pass the Core exam.

We strongly recommend that you first make application with this Board...the exams  (see the calendar) are scheduled to follow training in most cases and if you're "behind" by not having started the application process, you could well miss an opportunity to take the exam.  We also suggest that you get a "study packet" at a minimum and if able.  The BEST place to start - to get answers to the most common questions is our website.  

PLEASE, do NOT take a course approved by NAB for CE (continuing education) and expect that to suffice for your "initial training."  There's a huge difference between entry level training and CE.  Per OAC 490 (the Board's rules), all sources of certification after November 1, 2013 are required to be reviewed and approved by the Board.  NAB approves CE - and recently added these entry level courses because several other states requested NAB be the reviewer and approver of those course materials (and this Board does now presumptively approve those courses - as of August 15, 2023, by rule change).   We are NOT obligated to accept training certification unless it was approved by this Board, so, if (or when) in doubt, ask before you pay the fees and go to the trouble of attending a course.

This will be periodically offered and currently consists of a one day class which culminates with a review and the State Standards Exam for licensure. Those wishing to attend need to apply through our online portal...we schedule this when we have enough students (not just randomly and not one-on-one).

The BEST place to start to getting answers to your questions is on our website... and we have also addressed the impact of HB2824 in our Applicant FAQs.

This is a one day training session but you should have the materials prior so you can read up and be prepared to participate with questions during the training.  Start the application process so we know you're out there lurking and waiting for the training date to be determined.

If you have any questions, for either of these training issues, you can (and should) contact Ginger Dean at (405)522-1616 for assistance.

DATES SCHEDULED FOR ADC TRAINING WILL BE POSTED IN OUR CALENDAR - We do not schedule this until we have enough "demand" for the class.

If you're looking for training opportunities to become licensed as a Residential Care (RC) Administrator, a Residential Care/Assisted Living (RCAL) Administrator, or as an Adult Day Care Administrator, follow this link for additional information.

This is where you will find "How To" videos to help you with the application process but you can also find access to the required forms here as well.  This will be worth your time to visit this page and help you through the process.  Click here.

We've developed these to start with and expect this page to grow...

CLICK HERE to access the Applicant FAQs page...

The links here are NOT FOR people who have an Oklahoma LTC Administrators license already... 

So, if you have an Oklahoma license already, currently, you need to go somewhere else!  Try "Currently Licensed Administrators" to find what you're looking for...

IF YOU'RE NOT YET LICENSED, you are in the right place but which link you follow is important to note on the NEXT PAGE... GO HERE.

This is also helpful for Preceptors... go HERE for more information...

We've made it easy for AITs to find the PDF (fillable) forms they need during the AIT Program by locating them in a single page (HERE).  

Go here to find some explanations about the State Standards Exams and for those who are required to take the NAB Exams, information about those as well.  

NAB offers additional help that applicants and candidates should be interested to be certain they're following the latest and greatest...Such as:

The NAB website should be a common website for NHA and RCAL applicants in particular to get used to navigating...and a LOT of these things can be found on their website.  

All of our licenses and the CAA certification require the applicant to pass a State Standards Examination... All of these exams are different depending on which license (certification) you're applying for but we have explained all of this relatively well HERE

A big take-away from this discussion is that there IS a "study packet" and you should get it and endeavor to look up the answers in your preparation to pass this exam.  There are also videos that walk you through some of the same things to help you prepare for the state exams.

We're trying to help you find things easier!  If all else fails, give the office a call during normal business hours and we'll help you find what you're looking for and put you on the right track for the credential that's right for you!

Last Modified on Sep 13, 2023