Pharmacy Benefits Information
HealthChoice Pharmacy Copay Structure
Current and Pre-Medicare Members
|HealthChoice High*, High Alternative*, Basic*, Basic Alternative*, USA plans and High Deductible Health Plan (HDPD**)|
|Medication type||Up to a 30-day supply of a medication||31-to-90-day supply of a medication|
|Generic||Up to $10 copay.||Up to $25 copay.|
|Preferred||Up to $45 copay.||Up to $90 copay.|
|Non-Preferred||Up to $75 copay.||Up to $150 copay.|
|Specialty||Generic - $10 copay.
Preferred - $100 copay.
Non-Preferred - $200 copay.
|Specialty medications are covered only for up to a 30-day supply.|
*HealthChoice High, High Alternative, Basic and Basic Alternative plan members must meet the pharmacy deductible of $100 per individual/$300 maximum per family before benefits are available.
**HDHP members must meet the combined medical and pharmacy deductible ($1,750 individual/$3,500 family) before benefits are available.
Medications on the HealthChoice Preventive Medication List are not subject to the deductible. Copays apply to the pharmacy out-of-pocket maximum, but not the deductible.
For questions regarding the benefits under the pharmacy plan, please contact the pharmacy benefit manager toll-free at 877-720-9375. TDD users call 711.
Changes to the HealthChoice pharmacy benefit
No pharmacy plan design changes for 2021.
Prior authorizations, quantity limits, specialty medications, and step therapy
Pharmacy prior authorizations, quantity limits, specialty medications and step therapy for HealthChoice High, High Alternative, Basic and Basic Alternative Plans and High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP).
Pharmacy prior authorization
Pharmacy prior authorization is a medical review that is required for coverage of certain medications such as those that:
- Are very high cost.
- Have specific prescribing guidelines.
- Are generally used for cosmetic purposes.
- Have quantity limitations.
Follow the steps below to request a prior authorization:
- Have your physician’s office call the pharmacy benefit manager toll-free at 800-294-5979.
- The pharmacy benefit manager will assist your physician’s office with completing a prior authorization form.
- If your prior authorization is approved, your physician’s office is notified of the approval within 24 to 48 hours. You are also notified in writing.
- If your prior authorization is denied, your physician’s office is notified of the denial within 24 to 48 hours. You are also notified in writing.
Types of prior authorizations
Traditional prior authorization medications
Traditional prior authorization reviews typically require that specific medical criteria be met before access to the medication is allowed.
Step therapy medications
Step Therapy prior authorizations require you to first try a designated Preferred drug to treat your medical condition before the plan covers another drug for that same condition. Some step therapy medications may also be limited in quantity. If you require a step therapy exception, contact CVS Caremark Pharmacy Prior Authorization Department at 800-294-5979 or TTY 711.
Brand-name exception and non-preferred medication review
A prior authorization for a brand-name or non-preferred drug may be approved when you are unable to tolerate the generic or preferred drug. All of these reviews follow the same process as described in the Pharmacy prior authorization section above.
Medications limited in quantity
Certain medications are limited in the quantity you can receive per copay based on their recommended duration of therapy and/or routine use.
If generics are available or become available for brand-name drugs that are limited in quantity, the generics are also limited in quantity. When new medications become available in drug categories that have quantity limits, they will automatically have quantity limits per copay. New drug categories also can become subject to quantity limits throughout the year.
Specialty medications are usually high-cost medications that require special handling and extensive monitoring. You must pay a copay for each 30-day fill of a specialty medication. Copays are $100 for preferred medications and $200 for non-preferred medications.
- CVS/caremark Member Website*
- Check Prescription Costs*
- Find a HealthChoice Network Pharmacy*
- ACA Preventive List: Pharmacy
- 2021 HealthChoice Standard Medication List*
- 2021 Advanced Control Specialty Formulary*
- 2021 HealthChoice Drug Removals for Clients with Advanced Control Specialty Formulary*
- 2020 HealthChoice Preventive Medication List
- 2020 HealthChoice Standard Medication List*
- 2020 Advanced Control Specialty Formulary*
- 2020 HealthChoice Drug Removals for Clients with Advanced Control Specialty Formulary*
By clicking any link designated with an asterisk (*), you will be leaving the HealthChoice website to which EGID privacy policies do not apply.